Two day Coast-2-Coast

altyteacher
altyteacher Posts: 53
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi.
I am planning on a two day C2C ride on my road bike. Main question is suitability of the road bike on the route as outlined in the official maps and guides. I currently run 23/700 slicks. Will these work or will I have to follow a significantly different route?
Any advice would be greatfully recieved.
If I can feel the pain in my arse, I mustn't be hurting my legs enough.

Comments

• Hi, I’ve followed the route on my road bike a few times and didn't have any problems (Whitehaven to Tynemouth). There's a few gravely bits and a few long stretches on compacted mud. I was lucky though the weather wasn’t too bad. A few years back I was on my mountain bike and friends where on road bikes they were laughing at me on the hills but I had the last laugh when it snowed.

I’ve always done it on my winter bike (Specialized Allez 18) wouldn’t even consider following the route my decent bike though. Oh and obviously avoid the alternative off road bits.

If anyone knows a route purely on roads I’d be interested to know, I'd like to attempt it in one day this year?
  • Thanks Jonny.
    My main concern is mud as I am hoping to ride it mid april, and with the current weather I do not expect the off road sections to be at their firmest. Would it be advantageous to at least put some more knobbly profiled tyres on? Reckon I could go to 25 tho not sure which cross tyres are available at that width.
    If I can feel the pain in my arse, I mustn't be hurting my legs enough.