100 Mile Ride Question................

cheehee
cheehee Posts: 427
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
I was just wondering really.

When folks do a 100 mile ride. Is it a 100 mile without stopping, or is it a 50 mile out have a drink, some food and a rest and then 50 back??

Like I say just wondering.

Thanks

Cheehee

Comments

• I just ate sandwiches at the roadside for a minute or two then got back on the bike. I'm not sure you really gain anything from a long stop anyway, just gums your legs up - so it wont really make much difference. "Rest" will hurt them as much as help them.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I did a few centuries last year (ok 3). Ride for a decent time - 50 to 60 miles, stop for a break, then back on and snack on the bike, stopping occasionally only when necessary. As fastercyclists says tho you're better off keeping going rather than stopping because you've done an arbitrary number of miles on the way to 100.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    if its an organised sportive event there will usually be 2-3 food stops on the route, so people typically stop and eat/drink there or top up on drinks and use the toilet etc even if only for a quick stop.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    CiB wrote:
    As fastercyclists says tho you're better off keeping going rather than stopping because you've done an arbitrary number of miles on the way to 100.

Not sure what you're saying????? :? :?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited March 2010
    dennisn wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    As fastercyclists says tho you're better off keeping going rather than stopping because you've done an arbitrary number of miles on the way to 100.

Planning to stop at e.g. 65 miles before you set off may be counter-productive, if you're in full flow and feeling good when you hit 65. Stopping means having to start off again. Sometimes it's easier to keep going and stop when you want to, not when your plan says you should.
  • dennisn
    If it's not anything organized and you're just out riding 100 miles you'll find that, more than likely, you'll need to stop for water or food somewhere along the line. No big deal. Just don't hang around very long, as the longer you stand around the harder it becomes to get back on the bike and move on.
  • dennisn
    CiB wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Planning to stop at e.g. 65 miles before you set off may be counter-productive, if you're in full flow and feeling good when you hit 65. Stopping means having to start off again. Sometimes it's easier to keep going and stop when you want to, not when your plan says you should.

gotcha :wink:

Most of the time when I'm out for a long day my stops are pretty well predetermined by the route I'm taking and where the convenience stores are located. Which are sometimes few and far between.
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    dont stop! as you will never wanna start again! just keep plodding on and eat on the go! Thats what i do.
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Is it possible to last 100 miles without a comfort break?
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Mike400 wrote:

Possible, but probably not pleasant...
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Mike400 wrote:

Just wondered, if you are balancing your hydration with your consumption you shouldnt need to pee?

I know F1 drivers usually last race distance as they are using / sweating what they take in
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • dennisn
    Mike400 wrote:

Sure it's possible, but why would you want to? I think some people look on a nonstop 100 miler as some sort of manly thing. O.K. by me. If that's what they need to do who am I to say anything. I tend to drink until I have to p*ss and then back off on the quantity a bit. Works for me. One thing for sure though. I'm not going to p*ss all over myself just to keep riding and I'm not going to keep riding when I've got to p*ss real bad. And I don't know anyone who does.
  • JackCB
    JackCB Posts: 92
    dennisn wrote:
    Sure it's possible, but why would you want to? I think some people look on a nonstop 100 miler as some sort of manly thing. O.K. by me. If that's what they need to do who am I to say anything. I tend to drink until I have to p*ss and then back off on the quantity a bit. Works for me. One thing for sure though. I'm not going to p*ss all over myself just to keep riding and I'm not going to keep riding when I've got to p*ss real bad. And I don't know anyone who does.

Ah, you'll never make it as a cyclist until you learn to piss all over yourself! The time it saves you over not stopping will improve your average mph by at least 0.01 and the smell will make sure your competitors in the peloton will jostle you no longer!
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    edited March 2010
    Mike400 wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Mike400 wrote:

Just wondered, if you are balancing your hydration with your consumption you shouldnt need to pee?

I know F1 drivers usually last race distance as they are using / sweating what they take in

But F1 drivers are on the private jet back home long before you will have ridden 100 miles! Remember that if you are thirsty, you are already sub-optimal hydration, so keep the fluids up. If you drink, say 500 ml / hour, you will most likely need to be stopping to take on fresh drinks anyway.
  • dennisn
    JackCB wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Ah, you'll never make it as a cyclist until you learn to wee-wee all over yourself! The time it saves you over not stopping will improve your average mph by at least 0.01 and the smell will make sure your competitors in the peloton will jostle you no longer!
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I dont have a problem riding 100 miles without a wee. I drink as much as my mates do - and they usually stop for a couple of loo breaks, but I dont feel the need. Of course I'd stop if I felt the need.
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    Thanks for your answers. I didn't realise that on a sportive you get to have a rest an that, I thought it continuous.

Everyday's a school day............
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    when i did my longest ride so far which was 92 miles i had about four to five stops for drinks , gels, pee breaks etc so stopped about 10 minutes out of a total time of five hours riding, even if you stopped for an hour during the ride i,d still count it as a single 100 rather than two 50,s , if you need a pee then stop somewhere and go because you will be distracted from your riding if your dying for a pee.
  • I ususally like to stop after 15 miles or so once my legs have warmed up for a good old stretch.

I would also tend to stop around the 50-60 miles mark to take on board more water.

I'm happy to eat on the move though.
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    You don't have to worry that anyone will think that if you stopped for anything (a drink, some food, a pee) that it 'won't count' as a 100 mile bike ride.

I've done several 100 milers (typically home down to Bristol) as well as 200k and 300k Audax rides. Audaxes build in stops for controls every 40-50 miles, so you can re-hydrate, eat cake, take a comfort break and the move on. Don't stop for more than about 25-30 minutes though, as already suggested, as you'll feel stiff when you re-start.

If I do a solo 100 miler, I normally PLAN to stop, briefly, every 25 miles/2 hours. But that's just me. You do it your way.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • Feakster
    Feakster Posts: 17
    take a look on the Rapha site - http://www.rapha.cc/films-of-the-summer-1

they do 100 mile routes and stop for food, pee etc - mind you they are doing frightening climbs also - if watching these films doesn't make you want to get on your bike then notthing will
    Unbelievably good gear also even if it is lumpy!
  • dennisn
    Lycra Man wrote:
    You don't have to worry that anyone will think that if you stopped for anything (a drink, some food, a pee) that it 'won't count' as a 100 mile bike ride.

I've done several 100 milers (typically home down to Bristol) as well as 200k and 300k Audax rides. Audaxes build in stops for controls every 40-50 miles, so you can re-hydrate, eat cake, take a comfort break and the move on. Don't stop for more than about 25-30 minutes though, as already suggested, as you'll feel stiff when you re-start.

If I do a solo 100 miler, I normally PLAN to stop, briefly, every 25 miles/2 hours. But that's just me. You do it your way.

Lycra Man

+1 ....... Very reasonable way of looking at 100 milers. Most of my stops are based on needing water, food, etc. and where I can find it. Sometimes I just don't feel like riding while eating a power bar or whatever. Stop, takes a couple minutes to get one down and you're back moving. There are no contests involved in a 100, especially if you're out there alone.