How do I remove the plastic hub protectors from my new bike?

bartimaeus
bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Dumb question. New bike arrived this morning all boxed up. The front wheel has plastic transport protectors clipped into the hub... the smaller piece on one side just pulled out, but the larger plastic disc on the disc rotor side is a bit more stubborn. Do I just yank it hard, or is there a knack to this? I don't want to damage anything on my shiny new machine!
Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no idea as we cant see what the problem is.

Maybe if you mention the bike someone may have had the same issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Ring the people you bought it from and ask them
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    If it's the plastic disc shaped part that sits in the hub & protects the disk, just grab it on 2 sides & pull it. It will be a little stubborn but will pop off easy enough, if not take your quick release, push it through the other side & give it a sharp tap with your hand.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Thanks Salsa. It was; I did; it worked. :D

It is an Anthem X4 - the first MTB I've ever bought (and I'm 47)... This replaces a 1990s GT Timberline rigid which weighs in at 35+ lbs... so when I picked up the box I thought at first there must be some bits missing!

It is now hard to concentrate on my work as I want to finish putting it together... and get riding.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building