Cycling in Abruzzo, Italy.

Marcw
Marcw Posts: 28
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
just a little plug for my house in Italy.
Close to the famous Blockhaus climb (in between the two alternative routes up), rolling hills, vineyards, cafes etc.
You can cycle to the coast (40kms) along the bottom part of last year's Chieti/Blockhaus leg. Also it's possible to cycle to Sulmona which was the start of one of the stages last year (and through which the Giro comes again this year) although this is probably around 50kms each way depending on whether you go over the mountain!
More intrepid souls could aim to cycle up on to the Campo Imperatore and book a night in the Refuge at Rocca Calascio which I'm planning on doing later this year.

On the other hand just meandering around the area near the house is extremely pleasant....

Finally for those not inclined to hire a car it's possible to cycle from Pescara airport to the house about 30km approx. Fly to Pescara from Stansted Ryanair. I haven't tried this myself partly because I'm not sure where I'd leave the bike box... Still if you were happy risking your bike in a clear plastic bike cover thingy it's probably do-able.

See: http://www.holidayabruzzo.co.uk

Happy cycling,

Cheers,
Marc