Trek 7.2 FX - braking noise

stfc1
stfc1 Posts: 505
edited December 2010 in The workshop
Hello all,

Does anyone know if the 2009/10 model of this bike is famous for being especially noisy when braking? I'm starting to think there is something wrong with it.

Mrs stfc1 had a 2007/08 model until it was crushed by a dump truck late last summer (fortunately she wasn't but it was close). The shop she bought the (largely silent!) original from replaced the damaged one with a new one, and ever since she has had to endure a ridiculously noisy front brake.

Remedies I have tried:
Cleaning the rims
Toeing in the pads
Replacing the pads with Kool Stop Salmons
Replacing the Salmons with cartridge pads
Tightening all connecting bolts
Sanding the surface of the brake pads
Fitting old-school MTB brake booster

Some of these things have worked in the very short term, but the noise soon returns. Could the wheel being out of true be a cause of noise?

I'm starting to get concerned now that there might even be a safety issue, although the stopping capabilities of the brakes are decent, because we're talking loud, loud screeching here, not just the odd squeak. Could there be something wrong with the forks or frame that means slight braking vibrations are being amplified to such a ridiculous degree? Mrs stfc1 is reluctant to ride her bike it's so bad, and I'm at my wit's end trying to sort it for her. Even a very good LBS couldn't do much on a quick inspection, though I'm on the verge of taking it to them and asking them to do whatever it takes.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this issue...

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Have you read this:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/brake-squeal.html

You might also check your headset has no play.
  • Fly Guy
    Fly Guy Posts: 6
    Hi sftc1 - I have a 2010 7.2 fx and it doesn't have the brake noise you're describing. They squeak when wet but that's normal.

Good luck with your wife's bike . ..
    FCN - 10. Bearded, baggied, panniered, clipless hybrid.

exercise.png
  • I also have a 7.2FX that I use to ride to and from work. I have UNREAL LOUD squealing from front brake. By "unreal loud" I mean people over a block away turn around when they hear it. I replaced the pads at a LBS with Kool-Stop (black) and had the toe-in, etc. adjusted. They're even louder now. So much so that I try not to use my front brakes (dangerous I know- especially since I ride downhill about 2 miles; over 20mph). After reading some articles online about flex of calipers, I'm considering buying different calipers (Avids) but don't want to keep throwing good money after bad. I also can't find anywhere that says definitively that Avids are that much better than Tektros. I realize that this is an entry level commuter bike, but If I have to keep upgrading components, not sure if it's really worth it or not.

If you find a solution to the squealing, please share! I'll do the same. Good luck!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Long shot, but try taking the brakes off and slapping some grease on the bosses.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Normal for disks in the wet
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Fettling Fun :)

Try putting the rear canti's on the front and re-setting up the pads. See if problem persists. Is there a lot of play between bushes and bosses? (+1 for greasing bosses: DesWeller)

Got access to vernier scales? Measure bosses, if one or both is squint you might be able to blag a new fork.

Last resort? Get a good mp3 player and remove your bell.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc