What's the stongest wind you've ever cycled in

2»

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Did 30 miles into a ~30mph headwind in Wales a few years back, with lots of hills on the way too. If I'm going directly into the wind I'll keep pushing on as the further I go out, the longer I'll have a tailwind for on the way back :D

That day, I did indeed have a tailwind for the return leg, but it gave me some grief coming down one of the hills. It was pushing me much faster than I was comfortable with on the descent, I was having to brake hard for the corners and as soon as I released the brakes to get round the corner, I was pushed too fast again.

Best though was during the 2004 Wild Wales Challenge, coming down a lane off the northern flank of Cadair Idris towards the coast, with a fierce headwind, horizontal rain, and the road coated in a gloopy mixture of surface water and sheep sh!t (not to mention the grass and gravel down the middle of the road). I overshot one corner and the grass verge was so wet and gloopy my front wheel just sank into it.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The wind is still howling here. Must be at least 24 hours it's been like that :(

I didn't get much sleep last night because of it and I think it's going to be the same tonight.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    700 7 °C WSW 38 mph 56 mph Very Good
    1000 6 °C WSW 35 mph 46 mph Very Good
    1300 6 °C W 30 mph 43 mph Good
    1600 6 °C W 29 mph 45 mph Very Good
    1900 6 °C W 28 mph 41 mph Very Good
    Night 2 °C W 26 mph 39 mph Excellent

Good I look forward to my non commute, did I mention I get to choose the start / end :D

WSW you say? :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    suzyb wrote:
    The wind is still howling here. Must be at least 24 hours it's been like that :(

I didn't get much sleep last night because of it and I think it's going to be the same tonight.

Ear plugs...... I snore :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's COMPLETELY still here. If there was any smoke, it would be going straight up.

Am I in the eye???? :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    This morning comes close to the strongest wind I've ridden in. It was howling against the window while I was having my breakfast but when I went out I thought "ah it's not that bad", apart from the rain against my forehead giving me an ice-cream headache.

That was until coming down the hill towards the river - I was getting thrown all over the place - and then the last mile to work, directly into the wind. It was gently downhill but I was struggling to turn bottom gear.

Good fun though :P
  • Three years ago. A cross wind outside the MI6 building. It drove me from the middle of lane 1, across lane 2 and into the oncoming lanes. Fortunately nothing coming the other way, but there wasn't a thing I could do to stay on line.

Shook me up a bit for a while.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Greg66 wrote:
    Three years ago. A cross wind outside the MI6 building. It drove me from the middle of lane 1, across lane 2 and into the oncoming lanes. Fortunately nothing coming the other way, but there wasn't a thing I could do to stay on line.

Shook me up a bit for a while.
    Dozy old bu*g*r.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Gospel Pass - March 08. Feck that was a bastard, as soon as we got out of the treeline the wind hit us, it was blowing right in our faces - I was standing in 34/11 and barely making headway, I think all 3 of us wanted to dismount but we kept each other moving until we crested the summit. The descent was ridiculously slow as well, we kept thinking - "should have climbed from Hay!" Would have been a rapid ascent. I've never worked so hard on the bike since!.

@Greg66 I hate those fecking crosswinds - I've had a few hairy moments with the deep rims on, not fun - esp on a lightweight bike.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    itboffin wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Ear plugs...... I snore :roll:
    I did eventually.

Woke up this morning and the wind is away. :D But the snow is back instead :(

Wonder what odds you would have got for a white christmas and easter.
  • @Greg66 I hate those fecking crosswinds - I've had a few hairy moments with the deep rims on, not fun - esp on a lightweight bike.

Yeah - I was on the predecessor of Bike 1. Plenty of surface area for a cross wind to pick up. Like a bloody sail.
    Dozy old bu*g*r.

Thankyouverymuch. :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Serves you both right for the pose-y deep rims. :P
  • Serves you both right for the pose-y deep rims. :P

I spy, with my little eye, a single entendre. :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    When I lived in the midwestern USA, I rode in winds so strong, it picked rainwater up off the ground and blew it upwards. Shortly after, a tornado came through and flattened the neighbouring street.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:
    Serves you both right for the pose-y deep rims. :P

I spy, with my little eye, a single entendre. :twisted:

There's a joke in there somewhere, I'm struggling to a) work it out and b) tone it down for BR consumption.

I'm very hungover.