Leakygas win damages from Beltran !

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited March 2010 in Pro race
Interesting one this and i have my doubts if he will pay up.
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    How are Liqigas on the policy of not signing riders under investigation or who have serious such question marks? They'll have know Beltran's history given the teams he was in, so a little hollow this sue Beltran action feels?
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Dave_1 wrote:
    How are Liqigas on the policy of not signing riders under investigation or who have serious such question marks? They'll have know Beltran's history given the teams he was in, so a little hollow this sue Beltran action feels?

I wonder if Beltran's defence will be to play the "well I doped my whole life, surely you heard the rumours before signing me up, therefore I'm not going to pay" card?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I wonder if Beltran's defence will be to play the "well I doped my whole life, surely you heard the rumours before signing me up, therefore I'm not going to pay" card?

I am not so bothered about Liqigas getting the compensation...legal action by the UCI should be how it is done and the money from the once rich cyclist redistributed to pro conti outfit riders or development projects at lower levels to help riders breakthrough as the beltrans of this world are as you say and Liqigas knew it no doubt?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Nailing Beltran is fine, it's the comments about "preserving ethics" from Liquigas that sound weird, this is the team that housed Di Luca, that broke the Pro Tour code in signing weasel-boy Basso and that signed neo pro Da Ros, a man seemingly with reputation from the amateur ranks as a full-time dope dealer. Garmin they ain't.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Kléber wrote:
    Nailing Beltran is fine, it's the comments about "preserving ethics" from Liquigas that sound weird, this is the team that housed Di Luca, that broke the Pro Tour code in signing weasel-boy Basso and that signed neo pro Da Ros, a man seemingly with reputation from the amateur ranks as a full-time dope dealer. Garmin they ain't.

+1
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    "Italian Cycling Federation tribunal" nails a Spanish cyclist.

Can't help thinking this is all getting rather tribal, our guys suffered and yours didn't so we'll use Italian courts/tribunals for a bit of payback.
  • Isn't it more a case of the Spanish being incapable of taking any action at all and therefore looking much friendlier than almost anyone else? I don't think Basso or Di Luca or Pettachi to name 3 high profile riders would say that the Italians aren't nailing their own.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    No you're right. I'm in favour of the decision too.
    I'm just feel that the way the Spanish have sat on their hands whilst the Italians didn't, will lead to a determination to get even, and that leads to the sense of nationality at work in the decisions. But I'm 100% behind the punishment, just because you can't get them all is no reason to pass on the ones you can :)