Dabbling in the slow side

fastercyclist
fastercyclist Posts: 396
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
As the title says I've come across for a dabble in mountain biking.

Aside from my roadie I have a 2006 Giant Rincon [hard tail, weighs like a brick], I'm looking at doing XC events that are within range for me to cycle out to. Couple of questions: If I can finish a 4th cat road race with the bunch (~22mph av/flat circuit) am I fit enough for entry level MTB events? Is the field generally fitter in MTB events? Will the gearing set up I got with a normal mountain bike be enough? Top gear isn't really much to shout about.

I also need recommendations on tyres. I hate punctures and won't ride anything with "race" written in its product description :D Keep it sensible though as I want to get placings. It'll be ridden on the road as well to get to the XC events.

Do I need to practice cycling off-road? Is there much point? When I read course descriptions I see 'technical' followed by "rocks". I don't get it - a child can ride across rocks - is it something to be concerned about?

Do pedals need to be changed? I got standard..stamp on them pedals. Is there a cleating system used by most MTB'ers?
The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome

Comments

• Alienman
    Alienman Posts: 91
    I would say you need to practice off road. As a beginner in the sport of mountain biking I can say that a dirt trail with roots and rocks is a lot different then a nicely paved road. It definitely takes practice on how to handle a bike going over the bumps on the trail.
    '09 Rocky Mountain Fusion
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Pedals: clipless mtb pedals are double sided, and shoes are different, having tread on the soles and the cleats are recessed. Shimano SPD's are probably the most commonly used (some m520 pedals are perfectly good and can be had for about £20). Flat pedals and appropriate shoes may be a better idea till you get the hang of off-road (though I always used clipless).
  • I suppose I can go and practice on a common :) However I do need a new pair of tyres. I think my bike got sold with really cheap ones because it punctures all the time. Recommendations on very durable/resistant tyres appreciated, no idea on what to get. Bike already weighs a ton anyway.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    'Durable' and 'puncture resistant' tends to go hand-in-hand with 'heavy' and 'slow'.

Nobby Nics are good all-rounders and the narrower widths are sub-500g but the sidewalls have no strength so you will have to pump 'em up hard which will have you pinging all over the place on technical terrain. The Snakeskin versions will protect against pinch flats and the Double Defence versions add an extra layer for thorn protection but of course it all adds weight so you may as well have bought a cheaper heavier tyre in the first place. Could go tubeless of course.

And while it's true a child can ride across rocks, it takes skill and finesse to clear a rock garden without easing off. Wet roots can also be tricky :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    There'll be a million and one suggestions for tyres. But....I was very impressed with Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. Almost totally puncture free, consider putting tubeless sealant inside an inner tube for an extra layer of defence.

Also, definitely, definitely practice off road. It'll be totally different to riding on a road. Where do you live, are there any trail centres nearby? If not then look for MTB routes on this site in that area.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Do I need to practice cycling off-road? Is there much point? When I read course descriptions I see 'technical' followed by "rocks". I don't get it - a child can ride across rocks - is it something to be concerned about?
    If you want to be fast, smooth and stay upright then practice is what you need. You'll need a feel for how traction varies under your tyres and how the bikes moves around underneath you at speed.

As for rocks being child's play - depends on the rocks.

Small rocks:
    rocks%202.jpg

Bigger rocks:
    frontpage.jpg

Even bigger rocks:
    2009+Australian+Mountain+Bike+Championships+DE9QsQaOX7il.jpg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.