Newbie with question buying 1st MTB - LBS or mail order?

Elwick
Elwick Posts: 7
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
hi all,

great forum, I have been lurking for some weeks. Time for my first post and I'd like to ask for your advice.

I should shortly get my Cyclescheme voucher and I have been looking at various options for a hardtail for easy trails initially. I will have £600 to spend. Really looking forward to getting out there :) .

Range at my LBS is limited and the best option seems a 2010 Specialized hardrock pro disc for £549, but none in stock to try out. I've also seen some great deals on 2008 or 2009 bikes with better spec for the same money e.g. Giant XTC 2.5

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p1684

I'm torn because I'd like to support the LBS but can seem to get a much better deal mail order. What do you all think? Would you buy a bike like this - untried, mail order?

E

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many bikes on these schemes are at full price anyway.

I'd buy locally and make use of what they offer: sizing, having it set up, tests, afersales such as free services etc.
  • Rickbus
    Rickbus Posts: 39
    Yes i went for LBS, got a few freebies thrown in, muc-off cleaner, an enegry bar!, 6 week and 6 month service too. So not to bad, as i believe a service is about £30?
    Good luck hunting, i went for the Specalized Hardrock Pro Disc 2010 too, took it out on Sunday for the first time, loved it!
    Specialized Hardrick Pro Disc 2010
  • Elwick
    Thanks for the advice guys. I do want to support the LBS, but I find it easy to get sucked in by all the good advice on here about the importance of the shocks and the good reviews on the the Tora shocks - which seem quite a bit better than the Dart 3s (any further opinions?).

Rickbus - great to hear that you are pleased with the Hardrock pro disc. I think it looks great and it has a very decent spec. 99% sure I'll go for this too.

E
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Hardrock is good for the money, for sure.

I'd go the LBS route, BTW
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I got my Kona from Pauls and I can't complain, you don't get free bits but you get more bike for the money and its easy to service the bike yourself.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Elwick
    Yes there seem to be some good deals there (Pauls).

I read a lot about how it is important to test ride the bike before buying, but I guess a lot of people just go ahead and buy online? I am 5'11 so would I be safe for example if I get an 18" frame?

E
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not always. It may be too long, to steep, too short - there are many measurements to consider.

One branded 18 inch may measure totally different to another!