Helicopter tape?

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Got my new steel bike and have been advised to get helicopter tape to protect the frame - anyone do this? Its not cheap stuff on the bay, but if it stops scratches and marks for a few years would be worth it. Any drawbacks/issues?

Seems like its about £10/m depending on width. Any cheaper sources?
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• reba6768
    reba6768 Posts: 1,030
    Roll of clear tape from Wickes. Been using it for a while and is plenty tough enough and is only a couple of quid or so.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Bike Tape, £6.95/m - good company.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Clear Fablon...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    cheers guys - time for some googling on those options :)
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've done it with a couple of frames - a Ritchey Breakaway because it gets stuffed in a case and more recently a restored Gios to protect the respray. It is pretty fiddly to fit and best done on a stripped-down frame on a clean surface. The tape isn't that flexible, so I would avoid compound curves or you could end up with ripples. The edge of the tape tends to pick up dirt and doesn't clean as well - less suited to light colours. Easiest is to stick to the toptube, downtube, stays and outer face of fork - everything else is to fiddly and hard to make look as good.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've used this stuff before now. Not cheap and there's probably cheaper out there but good stuff

http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?product=73

I've done two carbon frames with it, and it's virtually invisible to the eye. I've also done my mtb but that lasted about a year before it began to peel off.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I used the JustRidingAlong stuff too on my carbon frame when I bought it - there may be cheaper stuff just as good but after 4 years it is still perfect and pretty much invisible unless you really look for it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.