Easton EC90 TT 90mm Front

willbevan
willbevan Posts: 1,241
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

Still trying to decide about a front wheel, and the Easton EC90 TT 90mm has grabbed my attention as I can get it cheaper than the Zipp 808 and it is slightly lower weight according to fact specs.

Can't find any reviews really anywheere and a search on the forum doesnt really show much up....

All I've found is that they ae 90mm deep, around 650-700 grams for the front, 12 spokes front, reduced hub and flang frontal area...

Seen references to people thinking the lack of spokes will make them unstiff? Now im not looking for a sprinting wheel, its for Time trials, but interested in anyones experience with them.

Also realise they are pretty new so people wont know about long term durablitly

Cheers

Will
Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
MTB - Trek Fuel 80
TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/

Comments

• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    As you say they are only just out. I haven't seen any reviews yet either - I'm thinking about a rear wheel to go woth my Easton EC90 aero front. They do look nice and Easton have a good reputation.
    I've only seen the blurb on the chain reaction site.
  • willbevan
    take it you rate your aeros?

Am i right in thinking that the only difference between then is decals and rim depth?
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    It's a TT wheel. If you're expecting it to "go faster" than some other TT wheel, of the same type, I think you'll probably be disappointed. As for long term durability? Well, how many TT's do you enter a year? Unless you do one every other day I don't see durabilty
    being a question as long as the roads are smooth and you're TTing it once or twice a month. Should last for more than a few years. What's to hurt it?
  • willbevan
    will be TTing 2 to 3 times a week, starting end of April till September.

2 local 10s a week(but riding to them as a warm up, 5-10 miles extra on top each way) on roads that are not the best surface which are only getting worse.

Then probably ever few weeks a 25 on a sunday, hopefully better roads!

so yes I am concerned about durability :) dont want to spend 600 on a front wheel to break it within no time, I want it to last a good few years!

"It's a TT wheel. If you're expecting it to "go faster" than some other TT wheel"

We all know zipp wheels go faster because of their dimples ;)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    willbevan wrote:
    will be TTing 2 to 3 times a week, starting end of April till September.

so yes I am concerned about durability :) dont want to spend 600 on a front wheel to break it within no time, I want it to last a good few years!

"It's a TT wheel. If you're expecting it to "go faster" than some other TT wheel"

We all know zipp wheels go faster because of their dimples ;)

So basically you're going to put this wheel on and use it pretty much as an everyday wheel on dodgy roads? In which case you'll more than likely experience durability
    "problems" no matter what TT wheel you buy. Personally I would use regular wheels for these 2 to 3 a week TT's. Sounds like training stuff anyway. Use the good wheels on the good roads and at the bigger events. Don't train on them unless you're OCP material or want to buy new every 6 months or so
    I've heard Zipp say that many times. It must be true.
  • willbevan
    dennisn wrote:
    ...wheel on dodgy roads? In which case you'll more than likely experience durability

Thats exactly why im asking about durability. The 10s are more important to me that the weekend longer 25, as its internal competion that I find fun and how I guage myself.

Now I wont be using them as everyday wheels as you suggested , as my mid week long rides, and weekend rides when not racing that are tempo or internals and nthe typical long ride will be on triaing wheels (and not on the same bike either). Come end of the season I wont be using them at all for another 7 months plus,.

For example I wouldnt of drempt of taking a wheel out that is likely to crack, heard about I this I think previously with older zipp rims that did just that (hearsay there not experience from myself).

Don't want to spend 600 quid and find it dead in no time.

You do have a point about not using them, but currently I have been using an older zipp disc for two race seasons like that with no issue and a 40mm no named carbon front wheel, and whats the point in buying them if I cant use them.

Would of thought a 90mm thick rim would take a bit more of a punishment to?

Cheers

Will
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon