What tyre pressures are you using off road?

Aud Reekie MTB
Aud Reekie MTB Posts: 164
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi guys,

Just curious really. I use 45psi, which I guess is a bit high. Good on the climbs though!

Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Stopped to help a guy in my local woods he had a mjor split in his inner tube and didnt have a spare I gave him one of my spare Tesco tubes and pumped it up for him. He was very grateful and as we rode off he said it felt a bit soft so he would call in at the garage on the way home and pump it up properly.

I asked him what pressure he put in the tyres 70 psi he said :o
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Maybe so, but I have 3 votes already! :D (just kidding!)
  • stubs wrote:
    Stopped to help a guy in my local woods he had a mjor split in his inner tube and didnt have a spare I gave him one of my spare Tesco tubes and pumped it up for him. He was very grateful and as we rode off he said it felt a bit soft so he would call in at the garage on the way home and pump it up properly.

I asked him what pressure he put in the tyres 70 psi he said :o

That's closer to Roadie pressures! :lol:
  • 35-40 for me... usually 35.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • 60psi
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Lowest 18psi, highest 26psi, always adjusted for conditions and tyre.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    60psi

:shock:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    supersonic wrote:
    A good thumb press.

+1 but i guess its about 30/35 psi maybe lower if i go somewhere gnarly
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    25 psi, and i weigh about 45kg/6.5lbs
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    25 psi, and i weigh about 45kg/6.5lbs

you weigh 6.5 lbs :lol: man ur bike is wayyyyyy toooo big for you :lol:
  • Briggo wrote:
    60psi

some street riders i know have 75psi
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    Briggo wrote:
    60psi

some street riders i know have 75psi

jesus wept, i'm 9 stone and running 45psi :o
  • 60psi

Damn, didn't think I'd need that in the poll! :oops:

Don't you find the bike bobbling and bouncing about on loose flint & shale?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    About 2-2.75 bar :lol:
  • So, low pressure is good in the mud but means more pinch flats, right?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So, low pressure is good in the mud but means more pinch flats, right?

well it depends on the tyres.

yes no and sometimes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 30-32 PSI for my Bonty Mud X, would go higher in the dry but currently riding in claggy clay mud most of the time. Had them at 35 PSI but I think there is more grip at 30ish.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Lawman: the frame size? yeh, that's the only thing i regret about the bike, but my Dad was telling me to get the medium/18 inch so i can grow into it. i should of got the small/16 inch
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I usually run 35 psi, sometimes 40 psi of its dry sometimes 45 if I am doing a lot of uphill.

Most of the time though its 35 psi and I weigh 14 stone and running single ply maxxis tyres (minion/high roller) with standrd conti tubes
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    I'm 60kg with kit on and usually run around 35 psi
  • UST 25 psi seems more than enough for me. 30psi with tubes. The tyre is part of the suspension of the bike. Pumping it up rock hard just defeats one of its great attributes and ruins its traction by reducing its contact area with the track.
  • vikingboy
    vikingboy Posts: 128
    Im 100kg and run 22psi front and 25 psi rear on 2,35" Highroller LUST on Crossmax SXs.
    No pinch flats, no rim dings. Low pressure is soooo the right way forward IMHO.

I used Stan Flow rims and needed 30psi to stop tyres blowing off rims on hard landings and burping on corners. For that reason I went with a proper UST setup and havent looked back since.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    supersonic wrote:
    A good thumb press.

This, still with a bit of squish, with the front slighty more squishy than the back.

To the people with 60PSI, doesn't the bike just ping around on anything slightly bumpy?

75PSI for street makes sense, because you want the tyre to keep it's shape, and you're riding on smooth surfaces. But with rock solid tyres off road, every time you hit a bump the wheel is forced upwards, with softer tyres the tyre deforms over the bump and the wheel itself keeps moving forwards.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    vikingboy wrote:
    Im 100kg and run 22psi front and 25 psi rear on 2,35" Highroller LUST on Crossmax SXs.
    No pinch flats, no rim dings. Low pressure is soooo the right way forward IMHO.
    I'm with you on this - I don't know how people ride with 30+psi in their tyres, the ride is way too harsh.

I weigh 85kg and run 22psi front, 26psi rear on all my tyres and I haven't had a single puncture in 2 ½ years, 3000 miles.
    - Specialized 2.35 Eskar
    - Schwalbe 2.4 Rocket Ron Evo's
    - Schwalbe 2.2 Furious Fred Evo's
    - Conti 2.2 Race Kings Supersonics
    - Bonti Mud X's
    - Maxxis 2.35 Minions SP
    - Maxxis 2.35 Swampthings DP
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Somewhere between firm and squidgy, but not too squidgy.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • vikingboy
    vikingboy Posts: 128
    SDK2007 wrote:
    I'm with you on this - I don't know how people ride with 30+psi in their tyres, the ride is way too harsh. <snip> 22psi front, 26psi rear <snip>

Once you get down enough I find you can actually hear the tyre deforming and gripping on the surface of roots & rocks etc. At 35psi I dont get this.....and I cant even imagine what 40psi+ must ride like...must be like nails :shock:
  • I'm ~75kg and run my panaracer XC firepros at a min of 50psi + on the rear and about 45-50psi on the front - but I'm a HT lycra lad that prefers the ups to the downs.
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    60 psi or whatever the max pressure is on the tyre.

Partly because I don't know any better and partly because its pretty stoney where I ride and I don't like (am fed up with) pinch flats. I don't know if higher pressure works against pinch flats off road but it works on road.

Yeah the ride is probably harsh but the tyres have so much volume compared to road bike tyres that it feels pretty plush by contrast to what I am used to riding. I should probably try lower pressures but a lot of my mountain biking has tarmac in it (on the way there and back and for sections in the middle) so I just live with it.