Shimano Road Pedals......105 or Ultegra?

Ramanujan
Ramanujan Posts: 352
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I need to replace my Ultegra SPD-SL road pedals. These have been the best pedals I've ever used. Absolutely flawless IMHO.

I was going to replace like for like however, I've noticed that the 105 SPD-SL pedals are £37.36 compared to £58.44 for the ultegra 6700 at Ribble. Yet the thing that caught my eye is that Ultegra are 317g whereas the 105's are only 8g more at 325g.

Has anyone any experience of the Shimano Spd-SL 5610 105 Pedals and apart from 8g heavier than Ultegra, are there any other differences? They look pretty much the same to me.

cheers
R

Comments

• cotti
    cotti Posts: 96
    Ive just got a set of the 105's in Black and Im very happy. Ive not compared them to the Ultegra but I did plenty of research and that tended to suggest the only real difference is the few grams of weight.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I have both. Can't tell the difference. Ultegra's look shinier though...
  • cotti wrote:
    Ive just got a set of the 105's in Black and Im very happy. Ive not compared them to the Ultegra but I did plenty of research and that tended to suggest the only real difference is the few grams of weight.

Me to. They've just replace a set of R540's and the differences I've found are:

* More solid when clipping out
    * Bearings seem smoother
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Garry H wrote:
    I have both. Can't tell the difference. Ultegra's look shinier though...

+1.... My Ultegra's have that SL finish.
    No difference at all, save some cash and put it towards something else :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    thanks
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Yep, I have 105s, no problems at all
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    Yep, I have 105s, no problems at all

+1
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!