Crediton to Dorchester

Cabelly
Cabelly Posts: 43
edited April 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm holidaying in Devon next month and need to return before the rest of the family so was considering cycling back. I'm doing the Hampshire Hilly so thought it might be good practice.

Anyone know any good (safe ish) roads from Crediton to Dorchester.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Comments

• Marcw
    Marcw Posts: 28
    Not an easy answer to this.
    Personally I'd head from Crediton down the lanes through Shobrooke, Thorverton, Silverton, Hele, Langford, Plymtree over to the A373 heading to Honiton. This avoids the main A30 which you don't want to cycle on, but this route is bendy (though will be very pretty).
    At Honiton you head up the A35 past Axminster to Raymond's Hill where you turn left and take B3165. (The A35 will be busy but this stretch shouldn't be unbearable -apart from steep hill out of Honiton!).
    A short way up the B3165 take the right turn on to the road to Monkton Wyld and Wooton Fitzpaine. Whitchurch Canonicorum head left to Broadoak then down towards Dottery crossing the B3162 heading towards Bradpole. Next Loders then Uploders then towards Askerswell but keep Left/North to head towards West Compton. Don't go into West Compton but follow the lane towards Compton Valance, though again don't go into village just keep on straight til you join the A35 again for the last mile into Dorchester.

That's what I'd do anyway... Might take about a week though depending on how many tractors you get stuck behind.

Check it out on google maps
    good luck,
    Marc
  • Cabelly
    Thanks Marcw. I'll certainly look it up. Was also considering the coast road. We'll see :)
  • Marcw
    The reason I would choose this route is to avoid the coast road. On the whole there's a load of traffic (holiday makers combined with heavy lorries) and some steep hills on the coast route.
    Having said that I haven't tried cycling either route so this is only my expectation and presumption based on having driven the roads in question.
    Cheers,
    Marc
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Whitchurch Canonicorum brings back memories of a cold caravan at the end of October for half term 25 years ago and an outside lavvy. As mentioned avoid the coast road as it is up and down lots especially between Lyme Regis & Bridport.
    Useless bit of info for you: Georgi Markov is buried in the graveyard of Whitchurch Canonicorum church.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cabelly
    Thanks guys, a few other people have mentioned how busy the coast road is.

Inland it is. I'll let you know what its like next week ... hopefully :roll:

Just hope the weather is good :wink:
  • Marcw
    Good luck!
  • solocp
    solocp Posts: 285
    You can avoid the A35 between Honiton and Axminster, by using a signed cycle route (no. 52) through Cotleigh and Stockland.

On the main road through Honiton, go straight across at the roundabout where the A35 is a right turn, then take the next right (signed for Cotleigh). Once at Cotleigh, follow signs for Stockland, then signs for Axminster (avoiding a detour through Musbury which the cycle route takes). At Axminster follow signs for Lyme and Bridport; at the A35 turn left, then soon left again signed for Crewkerne, and then it's a right onto the route through Whitchurch Canonicorum.

It's a bit lumpy, but good practice for your ride, and better than braving the high-speed traffic up the long three-lane hill on the A35 up to Raymonds Hill, where you'll struggle to keep in double figures.
  • solocp
    solocp Posts: 285
    Oops - for Musbury read Membury. I'm always getting those two mixed up :oops:
  • Cabelly
    Well, i made it...... just. Very eventful.

I had a spoke let go in the middle of nowhere, Monkton Wyld, going down a 1 in 4. Fortunately I found someone who got me a taxi phone no.

Eventually got a replacement spoke fr Soanes in Colyton. Great service from George. :D

Came accross a car down a long single track road minus one wheel, felt a bit better about my spoke going then :)

Left Crediton at 10 and arrived in Wareham at 8 tired and with a sore a--e . Ride time of 5.46.

Whats with all the big hills :shock: . Not used to those around Poole.

Anyway good experience. Thanks for the advice everyone.