xero lite wheels

bugsrabbit
bugsrabbit Posts: 182
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Has anyone used these wheels? My LBS has recommended them as an upgrade fro my winter bike but i've heard they can be a bit flexy.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Good wheels in my experience, I'm a fairly weighty rider (80-86kg or so) and haven't found them too flexy, have covered a few thousand miles and haven't needed trueing (although they could maybe do with it now, although not urgent - I just like to run my pads nice and close). They look great as well in my opinion and are seriously light, for the money I paid (a lot less than they go for now as I got them on US import when it was $2 to the £) I've been very pleased.

Not sure they'd be ideal for a winter bike though, you might be better off with something a bit weightier and robust, pehaps even a handbuilt. I think Xero Lites are "best" wheels on the cheap, rather than winter / training wheels, if that makes sense...
  • Guz
    Guz Posts: 45
    Stay well clear would be my advice....and defo not for cold winter days.

I'm 82 kilos and the back wheel continuously needed respoking, so much so that I wrote to Xero and got a new replacement set. I sold them straight away to a lighter rider. The Xero agent told me over the phone I was to heavy for them...

I actually wonder how they get such high ratings in magazines, there's not one person in my ckub would ride them. The skewers also come loose on a regular basis. One team mate wrecked a pair in 2 weeks from new :shock:

I now ride mavic open pro rims with dura ace hubs, 32 spokes though. However I know they will get me home :wink:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I have the XR210 model. They seem strong enough to me. I'm about 63 kgs.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have the Xero marvalliso's - prety light - I am not particulary heavy rider 11.5st - but they do flex slightly when I am out of the saddle.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    kingrollo wrote:
    I have the Xero marvalliso's - prety light - I am not particulary heavy rider 11.5st - but they do flex slightly when I am out of the saddle.

I got a set too - and I'm nearly 16st :!: They are now on my winter bike - not found them flexy or anything and they've remained perfectly true despite a couple of thousand miles on them.

However, there is now play in the front wheel bearings and these are cartridge types so I've had to order a new set (of bearings) from Zepnat cycles.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I have a pair of Xero Lite XR1 that I have had for about 3 years. They have performed faultlessly. Bearings are still good and only minor truing required. BTW, I am currently 89kg. They do flex a little but not enough to cause any concern and I have never had brake rub with them. Never had a problem with QRs coming loose either.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks