another what frame

fredy
fredy Posts: 308
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, i have taken your advice to scrap my old bike and a build a new one.
I have been looking at frames to start with, i want something light (sub 2kg if possible) for cx but strong to take the spills at speed when going down hill.
looking for about 20" frame, geared, disk break compatible and cost around £50

i have been looking at(in the second hand market):
carrera fury frame
on one inbred
dirty jo
merlin malt 1
handsome dog cx

the handsome dog and dirty joe seem very cheap so i am a bit worried about the quality of them but they do seem to fit my spec and get good press.
I have also heard bad news about rust problems with the inbred, and it is also on the heavier side too.

does anyone have any experience with these frames or any others they could recomend?
thanks.

Comments

• Can only comment on the inbred as I have one. Good second hand ones go for closer to £100 so a frame costing £50 will probably be quite battered and possibly rusty if it has been neglected. The apparent extra weight of the inbred is soon compensated by the springyness and comfort of a steel frame.

I hear both the dirty jo and the handsome dog can build into nice rides and you will probably get a new or nearly new one of those for your budget.

As for the malt and the fury they are both frames from decent bikes so again would be good bases but you might as well just by a complete second hand bike instead of just a frame with these. A good specced Malt went for just over £200 the other day and you would really struggle to build a better one for the same money even with your best bargain hunting hat on.

Just my opinion
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    ah ok thanks! buying a full bike, i imagine, will be cheaper. i jsut don't really like the idea as you never know just how warn the parts are. But for £200 adding a new drive train and break pads will still be considerably cheaper than buying a new one.