Wheelset for a heavy rider

punctureboy
punctureboy Posts: 217
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, I haven't posted for a while, been busy as hell. I'm looking at buying a set of Fulcrum Clincher 1's. The main worry is will they cope with my 110kg weight? I plan to use them for training and racing in Triathlons (Half Ironman being my big race this year). I could always get a set of Planet X Model C's for training if necessary.

Other than that, are there any other suggestions of wheels suitable for racing for a heavy guy? I presume aero is more important than weight especially for a heavier guy.

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Hi,

Not sure about the Fulcrums. have you tried emailing them?

I have Eastons on my Summer bike, and I spoke to them before buying regarding rider weight (I'm 85kg) and they told me that they guarantee their wheels for riders of all weights.
  • brh77
    brh77 Posts: 242
    I think American Classic Hurricanes are meant to be decent, I am 105kg and ride Roval Echappee and they seem fine.....
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Make sure they're round
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • TimoH
    TimoH Posts: 120
    I'm looking at buying a set of Fulcrum Clincher 1's. The main worry is will they cope with my 110kg weight? I plan to use them for training and racing in Triathlons (Half Ironman being my big race this year). I could always get a set of Planet X Model C's for training if necessary.

Fulcrum Racing 1 user manual says:

"If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs) for any evidence of cracks, deformation, or other signs of fatigue or stress."

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/repository ... K-0507.pdf

I'm 92kg and not really worried about the durability of my Racing 1's. However, I'm not sure if they can handle 20kg more.

PX Model C's are quite safe bet for training.
  • punctureboy
    sounds like the fulcrums are a no go then. Thats interesting about the eastons though. I think I'll have a look at their wheelsets. Thanks for the replies guys.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mavic Ksyriums are a really solid, long lasting wheel...
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    in18.5 stone and ride eastons. no problems so far but only just under 400 miles on them
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    16 stone and use easton circuits for training, I have had (and broken) Fulcum Racing 1's and trying to get spares for fulcrums is a complete nightmare (took me 4 months to get a single spoke, now 9 of the nipples on the rear wheel are siezed onto the spokes (aluminium nipples and spokes - great idea :evil: )

All said and done, they are good wheels for a lighter rider and spin well and are fairly light, but for a heavy rider I would either go for handbuilts or for something with a higher spoke count with a traditional spoke pattern and with readily available parts, they might not look sexy but will last you.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Easton EC90SL are a good option. Not heavy, but they last. I've done about 1500 miles on rough roads at nearly 14 stone and they are still perfectly true. At £530 they ain't cheap, but they are certainly good value.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Are those tubs? :wink: (I'm here all week)
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Most factory wheels will be okay for a while...

But if you want longevity, ease of service/re-built/repair and peace of mind, go for hand-builts.

I'm just over 100kg. I had a set of Dura Ace hubs/DT Swiss RR1.2 rims (which are aero) from Hewitt Cycles built to cope with what I throw at them. I have a 28/32 spoke count but they're available 36/36 if you want to go really bomb-proof.

There a pic here if you want to see what they look like.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • garyspain
    garyspain Posts: 105
    I'd get a pair of ird aero 's from this chap
    http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/wheelprices.htm
    A solid rim is going to be important for you
    Easton wheels are overpriced rubbish for what its worth
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    very interesting. those dt wheels really are nice i bet they are tough. the cadence aero i think is the same rim as the 1.2 but lighter niobium. is this true.
  • punctureboy
    I think I'm going to go with the easton ea90 tt wheels. I want something reasonably light for racing.
  • For what it's worth, I'm a fairly big guy @ 6' 3" and 121kg. At my LBS's reccomendation, I tried a pair of Fulcrum Racing 7's. They're not the lightest wheels on earth, but now, a year, and 1800 miles later, they're as good as new. I've checked spoke tension, but not had to tweak any, they're round, true, and roll flawlessly.
    The 1's seem to be a true race wheel, for riders built like racers, but the 7's are just fine for a big guy.
    Obviously..use common sense, and check them.. but you should have no problems at all.

just my 2c...
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • Punctureboy

What wheels did you buy and how did you find them?
  • Just go for a set of 32h or 36h decent quality handbuilts. Why look at anthing else?

Factory wheels are a pain in the arse to repair.