David Clark, attempting world records cycling the world

Davidcyclingtheworld
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hello,
My names David Clark, from Co. Durham, UK.
starting August 2011, i am setting off in attempt to become the youngest and fastest person to ever cycle the world (only just turned 18 years old when setting off)
i plan to have a support car, meaning i don't have to carry anything on me, reducing weight- i can use a race bike.
the cost is a staggering £75,000 but is being done for charity.

So, any opinions on it? any ideas for sponsors?
i am also looking for someone that will help with the support car.
David Clark- Competing in the 1st ever Global race, covering 18,000miles in over 20 Countries. 18th February 2012.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Are you stumping up the £75,000 yourself or are people expected to donate money to fund your trip?

I believe there are a couple of talented cyclists looking at doing it in about 100 days (at least one of whom is leaving pretty soon) so its quite possible your efforts will be in vane.

Don't you think 150 days is lacking in ambition for a fully supported trip given what others have already done unsupported?
    More problems but still living....
  • I'm trying to get it through sponsors and such- remember i am only 16- i can't get a job that will pay me that much in a year.

I know, Alan Bate. I'm well aware of these people. And how impossible 99 days SEEMS. also, Alan's route looks wrong and looks as if it's going against Guinness's rules.

That was a target that was generated at the start of training and planning, what i thought i could achieve (the record stood at 194 days at this point- which it still does0 as Mark Beaumont has been telling me that the last to people to "beat" the record actually planned there route wrong and went against the rules.
    David Clark- Competing in the 1st ever Global race, covering 18,000miles in over 20 Countries. 18th February 2012.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    The current record is held by Mark Beaumont in a whisker under 195 days. How is 150 days lacking ambition?

Personally I think it's great that a young lad wants to achieve something on this scale.

I guess the the obvious sponsors to approach are bike manufacturers, clothing, tyres etc etc
  • thank you for that neninja. And yeah, that's what I've spent my last 3 months doing. i am, finally, in the middle of sorting out a deal with a clothing + bike company.
  • amaferanga
    I can't see many sponsors stumping up cash for a guy with no track record when people with a track record are setting out with the aim of securing the record before this young lad even starts.

Out of curiosity David, was this your idea or your dads? Did you consider doing a couple of long trips for fun before having a go at the record? Surely if you did this you'd be better placed to get yourself round the world quicker?
  • I have 4 sponsors already.

And no actually. Completely my own idea, my dream.
    I am doing other rides- for example- lands end to john o groats, edinburgh- London, London- Paris, cycling the length of Italy and the C2C many times.
  • amaferanga
    I have 4 sponsors already.

And no actually. Completely my own idea, my dream.
    I am doing other rides- for example- lands end to john o groats, edinburgh- London, London- Paris, cycling the length of Italy and the C2C many times.

Fair enough. If its just the experience that you want though you could spend a year cycling solo in Africa or Asia and it'd only cost a few grand as opposed to £75,000. You'd learn a lot more about yourself and the world than you will on a supported whistle-stop trip round the world as well.....

Good luck with it though. How much of the £75,000 do you still need?
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    If you're really interested in raising money for a charity it would help to name the recipient.
  • well, it's a government ran charity called the EDDY project.
    Basically, its a charity that world with children/teens on the edge of turning to crime. divert its there to young people away from crime and anti social behaviour by developing the individual’s social and citizenship skills. The objectives of the programme are to promote personal and social development, to encourage good citizenship and to reduce social exclusion. EDDY not only delivers a personal development programme to disadvantaged young people and those at risk of offending but also offers a reward and positive engagement to those young people who have made a positive impact on their community.