Gorrick Round 4 Porridgepot Hill - course length??

Stuntman
Stuntman Posts: 267
edited April 2010 in XC and Enduro
Hi People, did anyone who raced manage to measure the course distance? I was just curious as to what it actually was.

Cheers
Specialized Epic
Specialized Enduro
Specialzied Transition

Comments

• My Garmin is showing 3.93 miles per lap, but it kept playing up and switching itself off. Was a great race though, tough technical course where you could see the advantage of being smooth and carrying your speed. The bit at the end in particular, especially after the climb.

Are you allowed to go onto the Porridgepot Hill circuit outside of races? If so, where do you park at?
  • Stuntman
    I thought it was about 4miles per lap so that sounds about right.

Very good course, good race also. The exposed routes added another dimension to it for sure and the thick mud in other places sapped much needed energy.

Not tto sure if you're allowed on the trails afterwards but there were no signs advising that it was out of bounds??
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • Was very impressed with how well run it was and the turnout (about 60 in the Open, 50 in the Fun, 30 in the Sport and lots of other categories)
  • Stuntman
    Considering the national xc round one was on, there was a great turnout of riders.
    I think they changed the course just before the mens open race(or so I am told) but I hadn't done a practise as I arrived late anyway.

Results were up fast as usual also.
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • The "longer" course was 4.5miles per lap according to my Cateye computer.

It was shortened after the morning events because there were too many fallers/incidents on the first tricky decent just after the "water tower" (straight off the fireroad after the start).

If you rode this section you'll know what I mean - sharp turns; steep angle; soft ground and freshly exposed roots at right-angles to the track.

Nice....and that is all before you get to the four sharp climbs....
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    Yes, you can ride Porridge Pot Hill any time. Sometimes the army are playing around up there, so try to avoid them. As for parking, you can leave cars on the housing estate near where you drove onto the arena. Or you can start on the other side of Tunnel Hill, and park at the Basingstoke Canal Centre (which has a cafe) and then it is a short ride over Tunnel Hill to Porridge Pot.

If you liked the Gorrick course, have a look at the Are You Tough Enough event in July. Which uses the same area, with a longer course, hopefully it will be dry and dusty be then...

http://www.armycyclingunion.co.uk/AYTE/index.htm
  • The "longer" course was 4.5miles per lap according to my Cateye computer.

It was shortened after the morning events because there were too many fallers/incidents on the first tricky decent just after the "water tower" (straight off the fireroad after the start).

If you rode this section you'll know what I mean - sharp turns; steep angle; soft ground and freshly exposed roots at right-angles to the track.

Nice....and that is all before you get to the four sharp climbs....
    I'd believe the Cateye over the Garmin, picks up all those ups and downs the Garmin doesn't.

Rode the section that was removed on my reccy, so was glad it was cut out, was a pleasant surprise on the first lap as was preping myself mentally for the slippy climb (after the fun of the start and the usual traffic jam at the first bit of singletrack :D ) . The Fun Men/Ladies did the shorter course also. Chapeau to the winners, 22 min a lap is some going!
  • Stuntman
    Cheers guys, certainly answers the question of distance.

Sounds like the original part of the course(later removed) was a bit sketchy.

And knowing I can go ride there means I'll head back at some point for some fun.
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    I rocked up oblivious to day light savings, wandered why no one was at the start, bummed around for a while until it dawned on me and set off, 1 hr late, got 10th (0ut of 14 entrants) so scored a point - stoked, excellent coarse , thick rider. :D
    Don't think, BE: