8/9 speed freehub, 7 speed cassette?

intokyo
intokyo Posts: 19
edited March 2010 in The workshop
My question is, I have a 7 speed cassette, am getting a replacement rear wheel (Mavic GP4) which is built around an LX Hub model FH-M563. Seller says it's for 8/9 speed cassette.

Can I fit my existing cassette straight on or is there some kind of shim or spacer that must be used? Both parts are Shimano if that helps.

I really don't want to 'upgrade' to 8/9 speed for that will (I guess) involve replacing the shifters/cables plus new cassette......tight budget :)

Comments

• starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    The 7 speed cassette is narrower than a 8/9 speed hub. You can use a spacer to take up the slack though either something made for the purpose or a spare single cog from an old cassette.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Yep, as starsteve said, you need one of these:

1289.jpg

£2.99 delivered.

_
  • intokyo
    Underscore wrote:
    Yep, as starsteve said, you need one of these:

1289.jpg

£2.99 delivered.

_

And your word is your bond? It's a done deal. Delivery address:

4-42-14 Shimotakaido
    Suginami-ku
    Tokyo
    168-0073
    Japan

8)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Also check your hub dimensions.

as new MTB spec 8/9spd are 135mm while older 7spd can be 126/130mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    intokyo wrote:
    And your word is your bond? It's a done deal. Delivery address:

4-42-14 Shimotakaido
    Suginami-ku
    Tokyo
    168-0073
    Japan

8)

Fair cop - I should have looked at your location first! However, Shimano do an equivalent spacer which is likely to be more easily obtainable in your geographic location...

_
  • intokyo
    no worries

perhaps LBS will throw it in when they swap my cogs over. No harm in asking anyway.

Am I right in saying that a chain whip is all that's needed to actually remove and refit the cassette?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and a cassette tool and suitable spanner/adjustable wrench.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown