Worlds Womens Keirin - Disgraceful decision

alanf
alanf Posts: 222
edited April 2010 in Track
Whats the point in having rules if the UCI chose to ignore them. If you come out the sprinters lane in the last 200m D/Q end of story. I get the feeling the UCI dont like our success and will do anything so as we dont increase our medal haul. :evil: :evil: :evil:
DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
I like
DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Technically she should have been disqualified same as other were in points race and sprints, same as Jamie Staff was in Greece.
    It is no good claiming it was only a little bit, she knew exactly what she was doing as all sprinters try to ride close to the line to force the outside rider to ride higher and further.
    If you look at the footage she is outside the line then coming out of the bend immediately drops to the black line, that was delliberate course taken.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Vicky P was extremely gracious in the post race interview but Brailsford was furious. The was not a lot of communication on the podium which suggests that feelings were running high. I wonder if the race had been earlier in the day, whether a dq would have been more likely. Perhaps the judges were not wanting to end the meeting on a sour note.
    You also tend to wonder if the high profile success of the GB team over recent years, counted against them.
  • Krupeckaite is a much more bullying type of rider than VP.

It was interesting seeing Krupeckaite vs Meares in the sprint B final because both seem tempramentally well matched, as were Guo and Pendleton in their final. I guess the lambs just had faster legs than the wolves this year.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    When it comes to the track, I genuinely don't know my Madiison from my Keirin, but I too couldn't help but watch yesterday and wonder why have rules if they aren't applied? :?:

Very good demonstration of sportsmanship by VP though to seemingly accept the decision with the good grace she did. Lot of Premiership footballers paid far more cash in a year than she'll make in a lifetime could learn from that.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Was indeed poor form yesterday although I do think there will be ample chances for VP to gain her revenge!

I think Nickwill's last point may have hit the nail on the head sadly.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    i'd have thought they could have looked at the video replay, don't want it to become like football where the referees first decision stands even if the replay dissagrees.
    As above, I think it may be as Britain has done so well recently
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    There is no anti Team GB conspiracy going on. Simona Krupeckaite was not DQ’d because there was no rule infringement.

The sprinters lane rule was changed a few years ago. The rule states that you have to ‘hold your lane’, not stay below the red line. If anybody is interested, I'll post an extract from the UCI regulations.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • aztecboy
    aztecboy Posts: 384
    Eddy
    strange that Mr Brailsford isn't aware of that.
    aztecboy
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Isnt this about how you interpret the term 'lane'? The rules talk about the sprinter's lane and I suspect many would regard the outer limit of this as the red line. It could be argued that Krupecaite didnt 'remain' in her lane in any case regardless of whether the red line is technically the limit of this lane because she did move out - her bike position in relation to the red line makes this clear.

Personally, I think DQing her would have been harsh and clearly the rules do allow more leeway than the BBC or DB were willing to admit.
  • 3.2.042 During the final sprint, even if launched before the last 200 metres, each rider shall remain in his
    lane up to the finish, unless he has at least a clear cycle-length lead and shall not make any
    manoeuvre to prevent the opponent from passing.

Thats the rule,

I agree with Eddy that Simona didnt infringe this nor impeed Vicky so the result was fair and yes it was suprising Brailsford didnt know this although he does have to cover a lot of different disciplins
  • On the subject of tack markings, is this true:

A rider leading in this zone (between back and red) cannot be passed on the inside; other riders must pass on the longer outside route?

I've never seen this adhered to in any training session when doing a scratch or devil
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    I disgaree that she didnt impede Vicky she switched her albeit not by very much at least once.
    Bearing in mind the winning margin that was probably enough to put Vicky off.
    Vicky doesnt normally complain, so if she does you can bet she has a case.

PS www.velonews.com has 2 of the best April fools stories one about Contador and the Pearl Izumi ad at the top of the home page. Im still guffawing about that one.

:lol::lol::lol:
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    On the subject of tack markings, is this true:

A rider leading in this zone (between back and red) cannot be passed on the inside; other riders must pass on the longer outside route?

I've never seen this adhered to in any training session when doing a scratch or devil
    So ride lower on the track so they cannot go inside :lol:
  • On the subject of tack markings, is this true:

So ride lower on the track so they cannot go inside :lol:

with my size I have no problem with riders going up the inside when im in the sprinters lane!
  • alanf wrote:
    I disgaree that she didnt impede Vicky she switched her albeit not by very much at least once.
    Bearing in mind the winning margin that was probably enough to put Vicky off.
    Vicky doesnt normally complain, so if she does you can bet she has a case.

PS www.velonews.com has 2 of the best April fools stories one about Contador and the Pearl Izumi ad at the top of the home page. Im still guffawing about that one.

:lol::lol::lol:

one wonders if you have seen a "switch" before if you think that was one....moving 6-12 inches is certainly not.
  • if anyone should of been dq'ed it should of been jess varnish in her round one encounter, she made a dangerous move swerving up the track causing the bunch to in turn swerve to avoid her and unfortunately the italian elisa frisoni crashed out