Forum home Road cycling forum Your road bikes

Finally finished ... resurrecting my 2003 Bianchi Carbon XL

antikytheraantikythera Posts: 326
edited March 2010 in Your road bikes
Five years ago I was out riding this bike when the cranks froze. I tried to gently pedal forward once or twice... nothing, then released the forward pressure and tried again, that "solved" the problem. There weren't any indications of problems earlier, So I thought it might be a twig or the like and didn't think about it again.

But when I put the bike on a stand to wash it I discovered a chip in the drive side chain stay. I also found a missing chain bolt which matched the location of the damage. I thought the frame was lost so stripped it and left the frame with a close friend (thanks Grue ;-) ). Where its been for the last four years. This January I caught up with Grue... and the frame. I remembered a few threads on bikeradar about carbon repairs and after a search of the Forums decided that it I'd give it a go.

I approached four different companies sending them photos and questions and (eventually) got answers from three of them! I was really impressed with Carbon Bike Repair. Not only did they respond promptly, they answered all my lame questions, set realistic expectations... and met them. I was particularly impress when Darren called me to discuss various finish issues/options because they had thought how they might do it better.

It's now been built up with Campy Chorus (11sp). Because of the matt black carbon finish of the frame I opted for the "stealth" look - makes sense to me. Pity about the red graphics on the stem tho' :-)

Frame + Forks: Bianchi Carbon XL (Reparto Corse, 2003)
Bars: Deda Newton (Shallow)
Stem: Deda Newton
Headset: "Bianchi" rebadged internal FSA Orbit
Tape: Deda carbon look tape
Groupset: Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed (53/39 12/27), complete
Brake pads: Swissstop Green (RacePro)
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
Seat Post: Unknown (LBS swapped it when I originally got the bike)
Cages: Tacx Tao Ultralight
Pedals: Keywin CRM's
Wheels: HED Ardennes, stallions (with veloplugs)
Tubes: Continental race 28
Tyres: Continental GP4000S

I've also put some frame protection on it. Copter tape on the leading edge of the down tube and crank skins. The guys at crankskins were great when the first set didn't arrive. Now that they're on the bike I'm suitably impressed with them.

I've only ridden a few short rides for tuning rather than stressing it. But I have plans to use it in anger...

The original damage

IMG_0003.jpg
It was hard to get a good picture here, but the damage is more like frayed fibres separated from the surface. There wasn't any evidence of any cracks etc. But that was a big factor in choosing to send it to someone who knows about this stuff.

IMG_0006.jpg

and after it's fixed...

IMG_0008-2.jpg

The build in progress, The living room never looked better :D

IMG_0020-2.jpg

The completed bike. I'll updated with better picys soon

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Posts

Sign In or Register to comment.