Mapmyride

bigal.
bigal. Posts: 479
edited April 2010 in Tour & expedition
I am planning a long trip in May and have been using "mapmyride" to plan each day and calculate mileage etc.

Can anyone advise how accurate the mileage count is when using "mapmyride". Has anyone mapped a route and then checked the distance against a bike computer.

Comments

• bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I use mapmyride regularly and today's 15mile journey was only off by 0.1 of a mile but I expect that the computer maybe out rather than the GPS mapping.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    bigal. wrote:
    I am planning a long trip in May and have been using "mapmyride" to plan each day and calculate mileage etc.

Can anyone advise how accurate the mileage count is when using "mapmyride". Has anyone mapped a route and then checked the distance against a bike computer.

A bike computer is hardly the benchmark in accuracy....

FWIW though Mapmy ride vs my bike computer showed a 0.2 mile discrepancy over 63 miles when I did a 'head to head'

The computer might have been wrong, Mapmyride might have been wrong -I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    vernonlevy wrote:
    A bike computer is hardly the benchmark in accuracy....

If you dont use your bike computer as your benchmark then what do you use.

A ruler??? :lol:
  • paul.k
    paul.k Posts: 90
    map my ride is very accurate for mileage but some of the gradients can be abit out ,eg a half mile hill near me it says is a gradiend of 6% when i know it is more like a fifteen ,but do a few rides and map them down
  • paul.k wrote:
    map my ride is very accurate for mileage but some of the gradients can be abit out ,eg a half mile hill near me it says is a gradiend of 6% when i know it is more like a fifteen ,but do a few rides and map them down

Yeah I think it's fine for mileage but not so good for height ascended. It comes up with a very different figure than Asquet using OS maps