Tissington Trail...road bike?

BigG67
BigG67 Posts: 582
I'm off with the family to the Peaks for a week and I'm taking the road bike for a few morning rides. Any recommendation on nice routes from Rainow?

But more importantly...the family fancy doing the Tissington Trail one day, does anyone know if it'd be ok on 700c wheels with regular tyres?

:D

Comments

• Bonno
    Bonno Posts: 69
    BigG67 wrote:
    I'm off with the family to the Peaks for a week and I'm taking the road bike for a few morning rides. Any recommendation on nice routes from Rainow?

But more importantly...the family fancy doing the Tissington Trail one day, does anyone know if it'd be ok on 700c wheels with regular tyres?

Did it with the family a few years ago on hired MTB's.... they don't call them trails for nothing!
    Great fun, (except for the wife's constant moaning about her saddle! ) but i'd leave the roadbike and hire an MTB.
    Have a good one
  • Last time I rode along the trail, it consisted of compression ash. Just about okay for road tyres in very dry conditions but it would be awful if the surface is damp or wet.

As Bonno suggests, leave the road bike at home and hire an MTB.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I often do both the Tissington and High Peal trails on my road bike (700x23mm tyres) with no problems.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Never had a problem with a road bike on the Tissington Trail (or High Peak trail that meets it at Parsley Hay). Normal 700 x 23 Pro Race tyres and no issues as yet.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • BigG67
    ta folks 8) :D
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    BigG67 wrote:

there are some fantastic routes from Rainow - I do most of my road biking in that area

how good is your climbing though? from Rainow, whichever way you turn there are hills and some pretty steep ones to be aware of (Lamaload Reservoir, Pym Chair, Macc Forest etc.)

what sort of distance/time are you looking at?
  • BigG67
    Moorlab

I'm OK climbing; just not too fast :wink:

TBH I need some training for the summer events and that's why the missus has let me take the road bike. I'd guess a 30mile route and a 50mile route would would be cool. I'm actually nearer Kettleshulme, so any advice would be gratefully...
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    Kettleshulme is a good starting point as you can turn off the main road and there is a nice quiet lane which steadily climbs up past Windgather rocks up to Pym Chair, then you can turn left and drop down to Errwood Reservoir. Follow the road to the right which takes you along the reservoir and then up a lovely valley to Derbyshire Bridge where you turn right up to the Cat & Fiddle pub on the main road. Go past the pub and take first left which drops down to another pub (Stanley Arms), turn left towards Wildboarclough. Folllow road all the way to Wincle then take right and loop back round via Macc Forest, Langley, Bollington and Pott Shrigley where you can join the road back to Kettleshulme.

Here's the route, just shy of 30 miles...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3588292
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If you google it you can get lots of pictures of the surface of the Tissington and High Peak trails. As others have said you do get people on road bikes using it - I've seen CTC type club runs on it so in the dry you shouldn't have a problem. In the wet some sections get mucky though others aren't too bad. I'd just explore - maybe give the trail a try and if it isn't your cup of tea turn off and try some back lanes.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • BigG67
    Moorlab...outstanding work :D I did try bikely.com but it keeps crashing.

If you're ever in Perthshire let me know and I'll return the favour.

Now just have to keep on the sweet side of Mrs BigG.......