Cuba......

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Has anyone been on holiday to Cuba and if so what was it like. Ive just booked for 2 weeks in May and would like to hear opinions.

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Never been there but it appears to be a good place to go as a tourist.

Would have been a good place for a communist nuclear base I believe. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or to stage an invasion that goes horribly wrong if you are a dissident rebel faction. :wink:
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    dmclite wrote:
    Or to stage an invasion that goes horribly wrong if you are a dissident rebel faction. :wink:

Sounds a (bay of) pigs of an idea to me, that. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Depends what you are going for I think. A friends parents went on a package trip and the resort turned out to be 2 hours from anywhere interesting but if you are just after a beach to laze around on and some sun then its not an issue.
  • ive spent loads of time there, its fantastic end of
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Brilliant. As long as you keep away from the package resorts. Spend a few days in Old Havana. Get out into the countryside.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Looks a great place,always fancied going one day,that and Nicaragua,Honduras etc,smoking is a bonus too.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    A lot of the hotels are in tourist zones & enclosed. OK if you want a quiet beach & to chill, not good if you want 'authenticity'. You can still do daytrips out of the complexes of course. You'll love it.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Be most carefull where you exchange your money..totally avoid any exchange with locals as the the tourist currancy is werth alot more than than the local currancy which is werth very little
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Need more info, package or self contained?

If package make sure you insist they take you to authentic areas on the tours, if self sufficient be cool take your time to see as much as possible and if possible listen to the locals, same as anywhere really if your prepared to make the effort.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Also, try to spend some of your time staying at casa particulars (spelling?) - the local equivalent of B&B. You get treated really well, and the money goes to ordinary people.
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    Brilliant. As long as you keep away from the package resorts. Spend a few days in Old Havana. Get out into the countryside.

+1

Make sure you check out the dark Havana Club rum - don't go spoiling it with cola!
    Ciao Marco
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Food is awful
  • I'm going cycling there in November, hopefuly with Exodus. :)
  • i was lucky to have a cuban friend who i went to stay with so got a real taste of the true cuba, the cuban version of neighbourhood watch is a bit different to ours,instead of looking out for your neighbours you spy on them to see if there not being patriotic enough,they even have a days holiday to celebrate the setting up of this organisation look out for the blue cartoon guy painted on the sides of houses.the public transport is terrible the dollar is king and there are scams a plenty,i loved the place the music and people are great would love to go back.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Unfortunately Im on a package deal at an all inclusive resort. We do however plan to take numerous trips to see Cuba and Im especially looking forward to going to Havana.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    My brother went there on his honeymoon (2005). Though they both liked it, what unnerved therm was when they took an internal flight, as the plane took off a jeep armed with a machine gun travelled behind them to pick off anyone trying to stow away in the wheel wells. As well as this the planes are fuelled with only enough to get them to their destination as a deterrent to the pilots flying to Florida.

Yes, it sounds like a really nice place to go on holiday...
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Stayed in Havana, Playa Del Esta, Varadero, Playa Maria La Gorda and back to Havana, all in 2 weeks.

Backpacked and blagged it with travel and accommodation all the way. The Cubans are great, but due to communism, always out to make a few bob from you (you can't blame them for that).

Eating anywhere outside of the big resorts was also a problem, due to lack of provisions - some nights only 5 of use (we were 8 in total) managed to eat, or we had to share and have smaller portions.....

BUT, was a great holiday. One of my best as a single man.

IMHO, all the all-inclusive places could be anywhere, you might as well be in Benidorm....it all depens on what you want from a holiday.

Rgds
    BJB
  • i agree jimmy i spent four days in varadero the beach was great the food terrible and the 13yr old prostitutes a bit disturbing,i coudnt wait to get back to the husttle and grimey bustle of havana.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Havana stank of diesel fumes! But was brilliant.

I recall in Playa Del Esta some dirtbag German dude- about 50 YO, with 2 teenage Cuban girls with him staying in the house next to us. Sat like a lord with them on his lap in the garden. Glad we effed off the day after or I'd have prob jumped the fence and chinned the pr1ck.