Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

Todays Bodge :D

The Northern MonkeyThe Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Been filing and sanding this bloody Shimano Honeycomb bash to fit my XT cranks :lol:

The PCD is the same, but the fitment is slightly different, so I had to take some material off near the bolt holes.

Not sure about it yet though, pretty bloody weighty... tis from an slx dual.

Might end up changing for an E13, but I really wanted the shimano one!

Thoughts?

photo-66.jpg

Oh and on a side note... KCNC chainring bolts are fiddly and a complete pain in the censored !

Posts

  • looks like a good job to me, not what I would describe as a bodge. Technically doesn't a bodge have to include duct tape and/or cable ties to qualify? :)
  • lol i guess!
    can't believe how much material I had to take off!!

    Just hope there is enough room for my chain, tisn't tight, but it doesn't have much room either!
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    nice work getting it to fit but i think it looks a bit of an eyesore on the pic you hve shown of it fitted to the bike.
  • sheepsteeth
    You need to check out the P7 thread....

    but oooohhhkkkkkkkkaayyy i'll post it again... twist my arm :wink:

    photo-67.jpg
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    thats the pic i was talking baout, it looks an eyesore.
  • howd you mean?

    Tis a bit.... "thick" isn't it.

    Not sure what else to use... the E13's are just as chunky :(

    I'm thinking something like this instead...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40422

    Not at a loss with the Shimano bash either way.... only cost me a few quid lol!
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    more the colour to be honest, i think it would look better with a white bash or my current fave look is dual ring with chain device and no bash atall.
  • I tried the dual and no bash and didnt like it... looked too bare :(

    Thing is... i've still to add a blackspire dual ring ISCG tensioner with a red roller to keep the chain on properly.

    Actually, thinking about it, I don't need the Tensioner if i'm using a bash.
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I think black bashes look nasty unless the whole bike is black, or the bash is something nice and compact like the raceface light one. One of those bashes came with my SLX dual ring and i sold it because it's censored nasty and like you say, weighs a bloody ton!!
    I personally like the no-bash look
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 14,675
    And the bars are fitted all wrong!

    I think it looks fine myself- all the round bits are black, wheels and bashring, so it works fine to me. Better than my white bashring on my black and white bike :roll:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    And the bars are fitted all wrong!

    I think it looks fine myself- all the round bits are black, wheels and bashring, so it works fine to me. Better than my white bashring on my black and white bike :roll:

    Hehe... my wheel hits my head when i'm in bed if I turn the bars :P

    I've been staring at the bike all day and i'm pretty happy with it tbh :)
  • jay12jay12 Posts: 6,306
    TBH i like those chunky bash guards, but i would get that race face one if not doing any hardcore stuff. also if a bike is single ring, i prefer the way they look with just a chainguide
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    jay12 wrote:
    TBH i like those chunky bash guards, but i would get that race face one if not doing any hardcore stuff. also if a bike is single ring, i prefer the way they look with just a chainguide
    You can get a more hardcore raceface one, i still think they look better than a plastic one as they're still significantly less chunky.
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • bomberesquebomberesque Posts: 1,701
    ilovedirt wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    TBH i like those chunky bash guards, but i would get that race face one if not doing any hardcore stuff. also if a bike is single ring, i prefer the way they look with just a chainguide
    You can get a more hardcore raceface one, i still think they look better than a plastic one as they're still significantly less chunky.

    first off; good job Benj, looks nice! not bodged ... but fettled

    second, I'm in 2 minds about chunky plastic vs less chunky alu bash guards. I have the E13 on my HT and it does look great but it's oversized for the teeth (because it's sized to work with a chainguide but I didn't know that when I bought it) and the RF ones just look soooo pretty (I have an old 32T one on another bike). I think if it was the right size for the ring, I'd prefer the E13. No idea about weight difference though

    does anyone have any idea what size E13 bash will size properly against a 36T ring without a chainguide (rather than be oversized to fit a SRS/DRS)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

    If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    bomberesque
    a 36T one :wink:

    Ok E-13 split there sizes at 36T so i would go for the smaller 32-36 on one design and there is a 36T in another design.

    Most bash/guide makers say what size the rings are for.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bomberesquebomberesque Posts: 1,701
    nicklouse wrote:
    bomberesque
    a 36T one :wink:

    Ok E-13 split there sizes at 36T so i would go for the smaller 32-36 on one design and there is a 36T in another design.

    Most bash/guide makers say what size the rings are for.

    Sorry, both for the slight thread-jack and becauseI wasn't clear I think, a standard 36T bash ring is smaller than my 36T E.13 bash

    I bought a 36T E.13 supercharger, but it's mahoosive and I think would just about cover a 40T. Then I looked it up and iirc they said E.13 chargers are bigger than they need to be because they're sized to work with their chainguide.

    soooooo, if I don't use a chainguide then I could fit a smaller E.13 bash (and, crucially, drop down my front deurallier a bit coz the cable pull angle is pants) say a 32 or 34T but I'm not sure which but don't want to punt another 30 quid without some confidence that I'm getting the right size

    /edit OTOH I could just do what Benj has done, tidy!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

    If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    like I said E 13 have 2 sizes for on design 32-36 and 36-40

    so you have some options. get the smaller version or look at their other design which come in 3 different sizes only.

    Or look at another make.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubsstubs Posts: 5,001
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Oh and on a side note... KCNC chainring bolts are fiddly and a complete pain in the censored !

    Whats the problem with them I was thinking of getting a set of the red ones

    That 4 grammes of weight loss might make all the difference
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bomberesquebomberesque Posts: 1,701
    nicklouse wrote:
    like I said E 13 have 2 sizes for on design 32-36 and 36-40

    so you have some options. get the smaller version or look at their other design which come in 3 different sizes only.

    Or look at another make.

    Sorry, I see your point now :oops: , E.13 don't actually list a 34T anyway so unless the 32T is big enough (guess not, but may have a check) then I'm stuffed. I haven't seen the new E.13 turbocharger before..... may give that a shot anyway. Shiny!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

    If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • stubs wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Oh and on a side note... KCNC chainring bolts are fiddly and a complete pain in the censored !

    Whats the problem with them I was thinking of getting a set of the red ones

    That 4 grammes of weight loss might make all the difference

    theyre hollow so the allen key goes straight thru.
    This makes it hard to push the front and back bits together + screw the threads! Even when using the correct tool for the back of the bolt!
    I've never sworn at something so small so much in my life!
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 14,675
    Can't say as I've ever had that problem myself :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • JamesBrckmnJamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i wouldn't call that a bodge- looks quite good actually.

    a proper bodge is like tieing the largest sprocket on the cassette to the spokes with soldering wire to make it fixed gear! :lol:
    sounds stupid, but i did that to my raliegh, and it worked, for about 15 minutes, and then it went ping and bits of wire flew every where :lol:
  • bike-a-swanbike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    a proper bodge is like tieing the largest sprocket on the cassette to the spokes with soldering wire to make it fixed gear!

    this has got to be one of the greatest things I've heard in a long time!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
Sign In or Register to comment.