It's that time again.................

2»

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Jay, most certainly! As long as my employer runs the C2W again. Babygirl shouldn't be alone 8)

LB - yes. Fortunately Lady BW is a titch so understands my height concerns :lol:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Phew! I'll add the chain checker to my shopping list for July then :)

my chain checker was £5, i wish i'd bought it earlier. By the time i got round to checking i had to replace then chain and the rear cassettes.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    amnezia wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Phew! I'll add the chain checker to my shopping list for July then :)

my chain checker was £5, i wish i'd bought it earlier. By the time i got round to checking i had to replace then chain and the rear cassettes.

That's what I thought. In the grand scheme of things, if it saves me a cassette...
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Didn't I see somewhere that you could check a chain with just a ruler.
  • holybinch
    SuzyB:
    I'm pretty sure you can, but since you're talking millimeters here, an accurate measurement is probably better?

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    12 links should measure 12 inches. When gets to 12 and 1/8th, it has stretched too far.

Problems with some chain checking tools is that they will show brand new chains to be stretched!
  • holybinch
    OK, I knew I wasn't explicit enough.
    It is more the were to measure from/to and the error margin around these that can cause a problem.
    And since 1/8th of an inch is 3.175mm an error in measurement can change a few things.

Since I don't have an electronic measurement thingie, I bought a chain checker, and I have to admit I didn't even think about checking my brand new chain for stretch!

• Cafewanda
    It came to pass that on Good Friday Cafewanda ate copious amounts of Caribbean Easter food washed down with alcohol which gave her the courage to tackle the bike.

Four hours :shock: :shock:

I discovered how to take the wheels off which, after checking the tyres, then meant I had to do my utmost to get the tyres, rims, spokes sparkling. Obsessive? Me? :roll: I tightened a few bolts. Cleaned the chain and related bits at least 3 times and was still not satisfied. Lubed chain. Final wipe down AND with wipes, then polished. Thought about changing the brake pads but lost the will as hunger was shouting at me so I'm passing that one on to my friend later today 8)

Things I discovered:
      I'm VERY fussy about getting the bike clean. I need a bottle of white spirit for chain cleaning next month Wash the wheels in the bath as grease/dirt on the bathroom floor is a bugger to remove, especially when liquored up and hungry Ashes to Ashes was the best programme on tv - FACT

Roll on next month :)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Beware with white spirit, it'll stink the place out (at least did with me when some spilled out the chain cleaner :()
  • Cafewanda
    It will complement the smell of degreaser and stardrops currently wafting through the flat :lol: