Vlaamse Wielerweek.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
edited March 2010 in Pro race
I have to say, the Vlaamse Wielerweek, where all the one day races come thick and fast, all in Belgium in a period of around 10 days, culminating in the Tour of Flanders, is easily the most exciting period of cycling for me.

Definitely beats the Tour. I love it! Every race is a proper race with racing, with proper selections. All that sizing up people's form, trying to work out how they'll ride, some riders prefering to gain form quietly (Devolder), others needing race demonstrations (Canc, Pozzato, Boonen) before daddy of all classics as far as I am concerned, Flanders. Not only do you need super form to be in contention, but super legs are by no means enough! You have to have that razor sharp instinct to match. Then it's followed up with Roubaix!

So good.

Anyone else agree?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Yes.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    That's coz you're Flemish Rick :wink:

It is quite a good time but I have to admit, I find a lot of the Flemish races blend into "sameness" for me. Good racing and all that, but over the longer term I'd be hard pressed to remember who did what outside of the real classics.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    I love it. I'm not quite as obsessed as a guy I met a couple of times, who honeymooned in De Panne so he could catch the Three Days of De Panne in person.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    I love it. I'm not quite as obsessed as a guy I met a couple of times, who honeymooned in De Panne so he could catch the Three Days of De Panne in person.
    :lol:

Brilliant

I was allowed to watch the "bike riding" without interruption today. Which was nice.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    I was out all afternoon doing family stuff :cry:

Got a pass for tomorrow afternoon though! 8)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    iainf72 wrote:

It is quite a good time but I have to admit, I find a lot of the Flemish races blend into "sameness" for me. Good racing and all that, but over the longer term I'd be hard pressed to remember who did what outside of the real classics.

Dutch, not Flemish.

How dare you! :P

I prefer the flandrian racing - it's less to do with your watts per kilo like the final blast up the mountain in the tour. (of course, the '08 d'huez show it doesn't have to be like that, but still)

For some reason LBL doesn't get me quite as excited, or Amstel for that matter - which is odd.

This doesn't mean I don't like the GT racing, but,it's no classics replacement :D

D'ya think it might be to do with the fact the flemish races are all pretty much run over the same roads, just in a different order?

Hagen apparantly had no idea which race route he looked at in training.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    It's a great part of the season, the sign that we are finally moving into the heart of the calendar, yet it's still early days.
    A bit similar, maybe, but it doesn't bother me.
    Plus, there's all the other racing, elsewhere, for variation.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    iainf72 wrote:

waiting for the tour of poland ? :lol:
    PTP winner 2015.
  • Do we believe Eurosport when they say there will be four hours of uninterrupted coverage of De Ronde starting at midday on Sunday?