Ashes to Ashes

pedylan
pedylan Posts: 768
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Don't watch a lot of TV and have never seen an episode or even caught a glimpse of Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes.

With a new series starting can I just jump straight in or where should I start?
Where the neon madmen climb

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    You might as well watch the lovely Keeley Hawes from the start.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    pedylan wrote:
    Don't watch a lot of TV and have never seen an episode or even caught a glimpse of Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes.

With a new series starting can I just jump straight in or where should I start?

dont bother-its shite
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • I'd go for watching the Life on Mars series from series one - I thought it was much better written/conceived than Ashes to Ashes, which seemed a bit clinical to me. And, maybe because I'm originally from the north but shunted down to London, I found the period Manchester scenery was a big plus.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Never bothered either, have a love-hate thing about Glenister's acting ...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I'd go for watching the Life on Mars series from series one

+1. I loved the Life on Mars series 1&2. Great concept, fresh programming and laugh a minute 70's non-PC stuff (and I am just old enough to remember a lot of the products, etc.).

Couldn't get on with the Ashes to Ashes stuff, all a bit formulaic darling.
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I'd go for watching the Life on Mars series from series one

+1. I loved the Life on Mars series 1&2. Great concept, fresh programming and laugh a minute 70's non-PC stuff (and I am just old enough to remember a lot of the products, etc.).

Couldn't get on with the Ashes to Ashes stuff, all a bit formulaic darling.

+1 on starting at the beginning - the DVD's or Blu-ray's are pretty cheap and the first series are the best .... I think it's one of the best bits of British TV in recent history (and I'm not British) - innovative and great entertainment. You don't get to say that too often about Television.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Unmissable TV This has been brilliant from the beginning of Life on Mars to "Fire up the Quattro"..
    Policing as it should be....LOL
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I'd go for watching the Life on Mars series from series one - I thought it was much better written/conceived than Ashes to Ashes, which seemed a bit clinical to me. And, maybe because I'm originally from the north but shunted down to London, I found the period Manchester scenery was a big plus.

+ how ever many we're up to. Life on Mars was genuinley original and the slightly exaggerated slant on attitudes back in the 70's are often hilarious although I suppose they shouldn't be. Ashes to Ashes was a bit too forced in order to take advantage of the success of Life on Mars and although the 80's was my era I preferred the original. Add to that Liz White in Life on Mars is sexier than Keeley Hawes :wink:
  • After Life on Mars I found series one of Ashes to Ashes a bit of a disappointment, but the second series was much better.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Life on Mars was very good and ended very well, ashes to Ashes is a bit contrived in comparison.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Life on Mars is a 10/10 TV program.

Ashes to Ashes is a 4/10 TV program.

Keeley Hawes is series 1 Ashes to Ashes scored a 10/10 from me :wink: But I can't remember much of the series apart from fancying her like hell...

Couldn't be bothered about series 2 Ashes.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    dmclite wrote:
    Life on Mars was very good and ended very well, ashes to Ashes is a bit contrived in comparison.

In comparison to the story of someone getting knocked down and living in a parallel universe 30 years in the past :lol: I know what you mean though, Ashes to Ashes is rather cynical!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pross wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

In comparison to the story of someone getting knocked down and living in a parallel universe 30 years in the past :lol: I know what you mean though, Ashes to Ashes is rather cynical!

Excellent point, although life on mars just looked and felt better, if that makes sense?