Forum home Road cycling forum Amateur race

First race experience

amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
It went well, but I got dropped on the last lap. Bit of a tactical error - the fast group caught us on the 2nd last lap to make one big group, but I was sitting towards the back when the group split with several riders taking off up the road. Looked like no-one was going to do anything so I had a crack at bridging the gap and joining the break away group, but couldn't quite catch them and blew up in the process. My group then caught me, but I hadn't recovered enough to sit on. By the time I had recovered we were into the windy bit of the circuit and I couldn't close the gap.

Bit annoyed that I didn't get to take part in a sprint at the finish, but next race I'll (hopefully) be smarter and fitter and up there at the end.

Average speed for me was 36.5km/h with normalised power 280W (last FTP test on the turbo gave 280W) and I exceeded what I thought my HRmax was by 5bpm. Its amazing what a bit of adrenalin can do.....
More problems but still living....

Posts

  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,708
    Well done, mate. Keep at it.
    My first race will be coming, soon...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • JesseDJesseD Posts: 1,961
    Well done, sounds like you learned some lessons the hard way, but it will stand you in good stead for your next race.

    My 1st race is on Good Friday, hopefully I can do as well as you did. 8)
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • jibberjimjibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I got dropped on the 2nd lap of my first race, within 8 minutes of the start. So you're miles up on me! You'll do a lot better next time.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • sheffsimonsheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    amaferanga wrote:
    It went well, but I got dropped on the last lap. Bit of a tactical error - the fast group caught us on the 2nd last lap to make one big group, but I was sitting towards the back when the group split with several riders taking off up the road. Looked like no-one was going to do anything so I had a crack at bridging the gap and joining the break away group, but couldn't quite catch them and blew up in the process. My group then caught me, but I hadn't recovered enough to sit on. By the time I had recovered we were into the windy bit of the circuit and I couldn't close the gap.

    Bit annoyed that I didn't get to take part in a sprint at the finish, but next race I'll (hopefully) be smarter and fitter and up there at the end.

    Average speed for me was 36.5km/h with normalised power 280W (last FTP test on the turbo gave 280W) and I exceeded what I thought my HRmax was by 5bpm. Its amazing what a bit of adrenalin can do.....

    Well done, should have been riding there myself, but had to work :(

    How many turned up to ride??
  • amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Well done, should have been riding there myself, but had to work :(

    How many turned up to ride??

    Only about 35 I think (so few that the plan to make everyone ride 2 marshal 1 in the series was abandoned and it was marshalled by friends/family).

    Found out that the NMRRL Thursday night series is full which kind of scuppers my plans for the next couple of months. I might have to get a BC membership now, but even then it doesn't look like there are many races close to Sheffield (Darley Moore looks like the closest, but even that's over an hour drive each way).
    More problems but still living....
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    jibberjim wrote:
    I got dropped on the 2nd lap of my first race, within 8 minutes of the start.


    That sounds depressingly familiar.
  • GeorgeShawGeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    jibberjim wrote:
    I got dropped on the 2nd lap of my first race, within 8 minutes of the start.

    That's my first target for later this year.
Sign In or Register to comment.