Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Wet water proof socks

saladfunkysaladfunky Posts: 130
edited June 2017 in Commuting chat
Last night in torrential rain I experienced the limits of water proof socks when they fill up from the top! It was like cycling in wellies with a pint of water in each. When the rain stopped I sat on a wall and tipped the water out of each sock before continuing.A funny site I'm sure" :lol: I had tights on but pressume they aren't water proof enough and so let the water run in through the tops. Thinking about a waterproofing spray for the tights? Anyone any thoughts and similar experiences??
Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!

Posts

  • JameyJamey Posts: 2,152
    I think that in torrential rain you kinda just have to accept getting wet to be honest with you.

    Showers and medium rain are different, you can take steps to keep dry in those but when it's the proper heavy stuff you just have to take it on the chin.

    In fact I often quite enjoy it when it's like that. Takes me back to being a kid again.

    I realise this is no help to you but it's what I think :)
  • Rich158Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've had the same problems with waterproof socks and overshoes. There's nothing you can do tbh. Last night I missed the worst of it and my feet stayed dry even though I was in shorts with nothing to stop the water running in the top of the socks. I sometimes think tights make it worse for some reason
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

    Revised FCN - 2
  • That rain was mental. Were you cycling near the A4146?
  • saladfunkysaladfunky Posts: 130
    That rain was mental. Were you cycling near the A4146?

    Same part of the world I suppose, I was at the time going through Caddington near Luton?

    Presume you got it wet? That A4146 ,if near hemel ,is a pretty awefull road at the best of times!!
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • saladfunkysaladfunky Posts: 130
    Jamey wrote:
    I think that in torrential rain you kinda just have to accept getting wet to be honest with you.

    Showers and medium rain are different, you can take steps to keep dry in those but when it's the proper heavy stuff you just have to take it on the chin.

    In fact I often quite enjoy it when it's like that. Takes me back to being a kid again.

    I realise this is no help to you but it's what I think :)

    OH YES,I admit to enjoying a heavy as well , it is fun so long as it isn't all the time. I also find the cars seem to slow down a bit more, probably because I am riding out a bit more as you just don't know what is lurking below the surface of the water!!! POTHOLES!!! ahhh grrrrrr!!!! :evil:
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • ridin8uderidin8ude Posts: 88
    yup my sealskin sock on my right foot was full of water when I got home last night

    even better it was still nice and moist when I put it back on for the ride in this morning - loverly! :oops:
  • saladfunkysaladfunky Posts: 130
    ridin8ude wrote:
    yup my sealskin sock on my right foot was full of water when I got home last night

    even better it was still nice and moist when I put it back on for the ride in this morning - loverly! :oops:

    yep, being water proof makes them slow at drying!! So pro's and cons hey!! Oh well, at least it didn't rain so hard today

    :-)
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • saladfunkysaladfunky Posts: 130
    I meant to update the water proof socks thread. . After a few years more commuting I have a tried and tested way to keep those feet dry in heavy rain! Using thick waterproof socks that go up the shin a bit, wrap gaffer tape round the top of the sock and continue to wrap my leg as well so as to seal the top of the sock from water running in!! I tested it in the shower first then on the road. Needs to be good quality gaffer and if you do it properly will keep your feet dry, at least for the 30 minute commute that I do. I have been out in heavy rain for a good hour and my feet are dry!
    I know I know, what about the pain of removing the tape. Just do it straight away while your leg is still a bit moist from sweat and they come off easy. No pain.
    :D
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • essex-commuteressex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    saladfunky wrote:
    I meant to update the water proof socks thread. . After a few years more commuting I have a tried and tested way to keep those feet dry in heavy rain! Using thick waterproof socks that go up the shin a bit, wrap gaffer tape round the top of the sock and continue to wrap my leg as well so as to seal the top of the sock from water running in!! I tested it in the shower first then on the road. Needs to be good quality gaffer and if you do it properly will keep your feet dry, at least for the 30 minute commute that I do. I have been out in heavy rain for a good hour and my feet are dry!
    I know I know, what about the pain of removing the tape. Just do it straight away while your leg is still a bit moist from sweat and they come off easy. No pain.
    :D

    Think I'd rather have wet feet.
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 19,738
    :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • BrakelessBrakeless Posts: 867
    saladfunky wrote:
    I meant to update the water proof socks thread. . After a few years more commuting I have a tried and tested way to keep those feet dry in heavy rain! Using thick waterproof socks that go up the shin a bit, wrap gaffer tape round the top of the sock and continue to wrap my leg as well so as to seal the top of the sock from water running in!! I tested it in the shower first then on the road. Needs to be good quality gaffer and if you do it properly will keep your feet dry, at least for the 30 minute commute that I do. I have been out in heavy rain for a good hour and my feet are dry!
    I know I know, what about the pain of removing the tape. Just do it straight away while your leg is still a bit moist from sweat and they come off easy. No pain.
    :D


    7 years to perfect ! :lol::lol:
  • essex-commuteressex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Brakeless wrote:


    7 years to perfect ! :lol::lol:

    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

    Loved to have witnessed the shower testing!! Actually, no I wouldn't.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 5,874
    Gaffer taping your socks to your legs, along with all the pain of removing said tape, for a 30 min commute?! Do you dissolve in water?!
  • essex-commuteressex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    How far up the legs do you gaffer tape, to the crotch?
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,487
    I've found the solution

    maxresdefault.jpg
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 3,237
    I just shower and change into dry clothes at work, including new socks.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • I've found wearing shoes to be relatively effective.
Sign In or Register to comment.