night time commuting - visibilty

2»

Comments

• bikermaze
    bikermaze Posts: 23
    Lights and stickers abound. Don't skimp at all. But don't overdo it either. Stick to your lanes as well. It might also help to wear brighter/noticeable clothing so as not to blend in the background.
  • davbay
    davbay Posts: 60
    Kellogs spokey dokies mate. They'll see you right.
    Anyone else ride a Schwinn?...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    iPete wrote:
    If I wasn't replacing my wheels soon, I'd deffo get some of these...

http://roseversand.com/output/controlle ... ail2=10181

That's what I use. That's me stretching whilst another rider on the audax drools over my bike.4086754786_1e73af94bb_m.jpg
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    mcowan77 wrote:
    folks

newbie to the commuting forum!!!

currently doing a 14 mile each way commute (on mtb with slicks), mostly cycle track, but also on the road at points..shift work so travelling home after midnight

apart from the obvious ( yellow jacket, lights), any other ways to be more visible ?

cheers

What this question really means is

i have noticed when riding at night that the many hazards of the cycle path such as broken bottles and dog mess are more difficult to spot. When I ride on the road the usual behaviour of motorists seems worse with the additional problem of blinding from lights. What can I do to feel safer on my commute?

You need adequate front and rear lights. Also you need to make sure that the lights always work, I recommend having two sets.

There is nothing you can do about the broken glass or the badly behaved motorists. You already have lights for spotting hazards. You already should be visible in your lightly coloured jacket, if motorists actually look.

On the plus side if you do happen to use any quiet roads, it is easy to see cars in the distance. Also bike lights get better and brighter every year and they really do seem to make you visible earlier and treated better by motor vehicles
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,553
    Spoke lights and one of those high viz/reflective 'Hump' rucksack covers (if you ride with a rucksack) also help you stand out a bit more.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]