........................and you ride that off road.

weekendwonder
weekendwonder Posts: 68
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
:? I've just got back into cycling after along time away, and see myself as more of an offroad sort of guy, I have also dragged the wife with me (No friends you see).

Now I have my second-hand bike I have changed a couple of items - pedals, tyres did a bit of a tune up.

I also like to look at the bike that are displayed in this forum, however, I find it hard to believe that some folks go off road on them, they are so clean and look like they spend more time in the house than on the road.

Is it the case that some folks buy a bike just to upgrade and make it lighter and lighter with brighter and brighter aftermarket upgrades, because if this is the case then there must be a large number of very useable bike items that folks like me can pick up for a song.

Or maybe it's my age and I just need to get 'Real' :lol:

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Nah, its a combination of very expensive bikes and ocd about keeping them clean...

Plus they're always clean for photos!

Look in the classifieds for cheap parts.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If you want to see mucky bikes ride with us at Thorndon. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    My bike is a complete mess after a ride but it doesnt take long to spray it off and give it a once over with mucoff.

Comes up a treat with little effort.
  • Hitby
    Hitby Posts: 218
    as above. I love getting out for a ride but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy cleaning my bike when I get home :D Keeping it clean is also a good way to notice anything that could be problematic in the future
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Both my bikes get filthy, but I like to keep them nice and clean between uses. My Giant usually lives indoors, so it has to be very clean anyway, but there's a weird part of me that enjoys cleaning it and making it look like new again.

And as above, people's sig pics are usually taken just after their bike's had a big clean/service/upgrade or when they're brand new.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    This is what you do you wash your bike halfway through the ride. Or fall in whilst trying to mince across a beck

4463810959_8d9a3f569a_o.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Is it the case that some folks buy a bike just to upgrade and make it lighter and lighter with brighter and brighter aftermarket upgrades

1. Lighter = faster.
    2. Mud = heavy = slower.

But as has already been mentioned, most of the bikes on here are cleaned prior to photographs being taken. That said, I'm one of the people who keeps his bikes obsessively clean. Pretty much after every ride the MTB would be hosed down and then cleaned prior to the next ride or fettling session. :D
  • OwenBird
    OwenBird Posts: 210
    Is it the case that some folks buy a bike just to upgrade and make it lighter and lighter with brighter and brighter aftermarket upgrades

1. Lighter = faster.
    2. Mud = heavy = slower.

But as has already been mentioned, most of the bikes on here are cleaned prior to photographs being taken. That said, I'm one of the people who keeps his bikes obsessively clean. Pretty much after every ride the MTB would be hosed down and then cleaned prior to the next ride or fettling session. :D
    Yep. Selection of brushes and cleaning methods. I have only just managed to ween myself off applying chain lube one drop per link...
    SOLD!
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i spend ages cleaning my bike up after rides so it looks fresh and shiny when i go out next,.
    plus the time spent carefully drying things is also a good time to closely inspect all aspects of the bike.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    OwenBird wrote:
    I have only just managed to ween myself off applying chain lube one drop per link...

I didn't realise that there was anything wrong with that :oops: :wink:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • adun1408
    adun1408 Posts: 123
    I have only just managed to ween myself off applying chain lube one drop per link... thought everyone did this :?
  • Briggo
    1 drop per link? Hell no, spin spin spin, squirt squirt squirt, spin spin spin.

You'd be there all day.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,787
    Yeah, 1 drop per link, after 5 links i get bored and just squirt away :roll: , i'm always trying to get my bike spotless and perfect, only for it to get messed up straight away on the trail, although at the moment im treating a few of the components very badly in an attempt to shorten their lives and give me an excuse for upgrades :P
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    ^^i do that too^^^ - i've just put a load of gritty mud on my brake pads so they wear out faster, then i can get some nice new organic pads
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,787
    ^^i do that too^^^ - i've just put a load of gritty mud on my brake pads so they wear out faster, then i can get some nice new organic pads

Finally someone else who understands me, at the moment i'm after an excuse to get some hope hubs, maybe a new chainset, possibly even a new frame :lol:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250

That's abit...um....pointless?! :?
  • Briggo
    mrfmilo wrote:

That's abit...um....pointless?! :?

I wa thinking the same, surely just buy the organics and put the others to one side and save them for whenever...