Swinley Forest?? Any Good?

Muddy1182
Muddy1182 Posts: 146
edited April 2010 in Routes
Going to be commuting an hour and a half on the Motorway to get here, so is it going to be worth the drive?

Any local riders know the best runs? What should i expect to fiond there? Long ride around or lots of short fast runs.

See some info on the web, but wondering whether theres some more detailed websites.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Nice place, the singletrack is quite short and fast but you can also ride for ages on the fireroads without retracing your steps, the best runs are quite far away from the entrance but there is singletrack most of the way there. Most of the singletrack drains well and theres a jump gulley around the middle with 4? jumps in it, chances are it will be pretty boggy though. I've been there loads and still find new bits quite often.

PS. Soz about it this post sounding a bit illiterate, I'm feeling shattered today after a cross country race this afternoon.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    It's almost impossible for us to give you directions to anything.... but i'll try.

Go through the gate next to go ape... follow straight for 350-400m. You'll come to a LARGE dirt road.

Take aright AFTER the stream... follow the wide road... keep following, up a hill, round to left... down a fireroad... You'll come up to another hill, U shaped. Down that up other side and you're at the Labrinyth. It'snot the best track IMo, but it's good and the simplest one to direct you to :)

Once you've done it a few times, ask someone where 'tank traps' are.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Maps etc. in this thread....

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12684311&highlight=

If you're going sunday PM me, If the weather's not too crap I could be tempted to come and show you around.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Muddy1182
    Thanks for that guys. Not going till tuesday day time. Will have a look at the maps on the other thread.

Fingers crossed the weather will hold, otherwise might leave it for a few weeks.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I went on Saturday afternoon (for the first time) and the conditions were fine. Some of the tracks were a bit boggy in places but generally they were OK. Don't be put off by the weather as the trails look like they drain well.

Had a great time there and will be back. We only saw a fraction of the place I reckon :)
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Muddy1182
    Can't wait. Think we are commited now! Be there at 10am, riding all day. Can't wait
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Muddy1182 wrote:
    Can't wait. Think we are commited now! Be there at 10am, riding all day. Can't wait

Did you go? Pity the weathers been horrible today :(
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Muddy1182
    Certainly did. Very good riding on the hill sides, but bloody wet in the gulley. We had a couple of heavy showers, but other than that weather was pretty good.

Took us a while to find the expert area, as took a wrong turning at the start. Great place, just a tad far for a day trip. Some cracking short down hills.

Will be revisting when it gets a bit dryer.