Newbi with a new bike :) Pics now added 04/04/10

gg8tcw
gg8tcw Posts: 112
edited May 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Hi,

After owning my Trek 850 Mountain Track for 15 years +, I decided to upgrade and get something a little more modern and comfy.

I know Coyote arent a recognised brand and don't even feature on Bikerader in the reviews, but for £1000 these are what i've ended up with:

The spec is awesome and the frame is light too:

http://www.avocetsports.com/coyote08/Colorado.html

wifey has ended up with a Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27

Both bikes are last years models, but i'm not fussed about that. I was more interested in making sure the Coyote had a decent spec, the Alloy frame seems to be good too, and the D27 for wifey will be more than she ever will need as she will only do light trails in Scotland etc.

I'm hoping to take the Coyote up to Lee Quarry in Bacup soon, to give it a run in.

Let me know your thoughts, but please don't slate me too much for buying a non-brand frame :oops:

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    how much was the coyote?
  • Never ridden a Coyote, but the one you bought does seem to have a pretty good spec. All the better if you got it at a knock-down price.

Also, if I recall correctly, the D27 was listed on these forums as being one of the best budget MTBs of last year, and that was when it was at full price.

I hope you kept the Trek too though. Nothing beats a bit of retro cool.
  • Mr Rowlie
    Mr Rowlie Posts: 41
    I'm currently riding the frame of the coyote Dakota which is one below yours i believe, great frame, not a bad weight, pretty nice quality
  • Coyote seems a good buy for £1k. Good spec :)
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    That really is a good spec. The frame reminds me of a rockhopper from a few years ago. Looks nice - don't worry about brand, if you're happy riding it, it's worth every penny.
  • gg8tcw
    Cheers for the kind replies.

Broken down price wise, the Coyote was £550 and the CB was £450.

I've still got the Trek, albeit with a bent and compressed rear wheel!!!! :oops:

It'll be fab when the clock goes back and i can get a few hours in the evenings after work to take it for a blast. I'll take some pics too next week.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    thats an amazing spec for the price. very good purchase
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    holy crap, good buy!!!!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • gg8tcw
    Pics as promised...

Coyote005.jpg

Coyote001.jpg

Coyote002.jpg

Coyote004.jpg

Coyote003.jpg
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I like that, almost identical spec to my Kona :)
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    very nice, amazing for the money. only thing i would upgrade is pedals
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    Love it :D
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • gg8tcw
    very nice, amazing for the money. only thing i would upgrade is pedals

Yeah, i'm just in the process of saving up for some SPDs and shoes, but relly have no idea what to get. Any suggestions?
  • Great bike for the price, nice one!

I got a Coyote Manitoba a couple of years ago at a stupidly low cost as a project bike - Pretty much all that remains of the original bike is the frame, which is solid and well made.

It'll be going round Mountain Mayhem this year, so hopefully it won't snap in two.
    Snobs go home - if it's got two wheels, brakes and some form of drivechain, then it's fine by me.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    And where's the wife Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Pedal wise - if you are going spd I'd go for something with a cage around the clip to give you a base to stand on if you dont want to clip in and makes it easier to locate if starting on rougher ground or uphill. Shimano M647 DX pedal is what I use and I love them but people swear by crank brothers pedals too such as the Mallet or Candy.

Shoe wise - find one that fits! you may want something more shoe like rather than the true racer style disco slipper - I wear specialized Tahoe's from a couple of years back which I find comfy and a good shoe for cycling and walking in.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.