BIke weight

Scotxr
Scotxr Posts: 172
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, advice appreciated. I currently have an all XTR Blur XC, I have however decided to get a new AM/FR bike which naturally is heavier. The new bike will be circa 34lbs and my question is how much of a notable difference would the heavier bike be??
Santa Cruz Blur XC
Nicolai Helius FR
Planet X Carbon RED

Comments

  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What does the Blur weigh?

    Some people are more sensitive to weight than others. But the AM bike will handle the downs better. So what it lacks on the ups it may well make up for in other areas.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Presuming that your Blur weighs around 24lbs then the difference will be noticed for sure! As SS says though, if you are riding the new bike downhill and not up it will be fine :) The difference up the hills between the two will certainly grab your attention...
    Adam.

    Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

    Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    supersonic wrote:
    What does the Blur weigh?

    Some people are more sensitive to weight than others. But the AM bike will handle the downs better. So what it lacks on the ups it may well make up for in other areas.

    That's why I want the new bike, to eat up the downhill sections!! Blur weighs 25lbs.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    Ads4 wrote:
    Presuming that your Blur weighs around 24lbs then the difference will be noticed for sure! As SS says though, if you are riding the new bike downhill and not up it will be fine :)The difference up the hills between the two will certainly grab your attention...

    Not so good. I struggled the other day at Glentress with the Blur so god knows how i'd get on with such a heavy bike!!
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    I never understood the benefits of going downhill at 10/10th at 30mph on a big bike compared to rifind at 10/10th at 20mph on a lighter bike. If anything, the later makes the downhills last longer whereas the big bike makes the climb last longer.
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    With my 25lb S-Works Enduro the uphills are great and the downhills are great. :)

    With my 34lb Santa Cruz Bullit the uphills are knackering, but the downhills are bloody fantastic! :D





    Not all entirely due to weight though to be fair.
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    nickfrog wrote:
    I never understood the benefits of going downhill at 10/10th at 30mph on a big bike compared to rifind at 10/10th at 20mph on a lighter bike. If anything, the later makes the downhills last longer whereas the big bike makes the climb last longer.

    Thanks mate useful post. I've now changed my mind now i've read your post, brilliant :roll: .
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    Zaskar20 wrote:
    With my 25lb S-Works Enduro the uphills are great and the downhills are great. :)

    With my 34lb Santa Cruz Bullit the uphills are knackering, but the downhills are bloody fantastic! :D





    Not all entirely due to weight though to be fair.

    Haha!! The way i'm thinking is that it'll force me to gain fitness so not ALL bad plus i'll be able to tackle more DH routes.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Scotxr wrote:
    nickfrog wrote:
    I never understood the benefits of going downhill at 10/10th at 30mph on a big bike compared to rifind at 10/10th at 20mph on a lighter bike. If anything, the later makes the downhills last longer whereas the big bike makes the climb last longer.

    Thanks mate useful post. I've now changed my mind now i've read your post, brilliant :roll: .

    No worries mate. Always happy to help. :lol:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Scotxr wrote:
    Ads4 wrote:
    Presuming that your Blur weighs around 24lbs then the difference will be noticed for sure! As SS says though, if you are riding the new bike downhill and not up it will be fine :)The difference up the hills between the two will certainly grab your attention...

    Not so good. I struggled the other day at Glentress with the Blur so god knows how i'd get on with such a heavy bike!!

    Glentress does have some beastly climbs though.

    I do agree though, bike setup is more important than shaving a few grams.

    Look at it this way: the heavier the bike to get uphill, the fitter you will get 8)
  • See... i'm kinda going the other way.

    The NS is amazing on the downs, but a bitch to climb on.... its gets a bit tedious :(

    So i'm building the P7 lighter and more climbing friendly, but hope to keep some of the downhill enjoyment!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    34lbs is bloody heavy, i wouldn't have a bike that heavy if i wanted to climb on it as well as descend.
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    peter413 wrote:
    Scotxr wrote:
    Ads4 wrote:
    Presuming that your Blur weighs around 24lbs then the difference will be noticed for sure! As SS says though, if you are riding the new bike downhill and not up it will be fine :)The difference up the hills between the two will certainly grab your attention...

    Not so good. I struggled the other day at Glentress with the Blur so god knows how i'd get on with such a heavy bike!!

    Glentress does have some beastly climbs though.

    I do agree though, bike setup is more important than shaving a few grams.

    Look at it this way: the heavier the bike to get uphill, the fitter you will get 8)

    I love Glentress but forgot just how unfit I am, having a heavier bike really will force me to get fit, i'm just not sure how much i'll be pushing the bike :oops: .
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Scotxr wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    Scotxr wrote:
    Ads4 wrote:
    Presuming that your Blur weighs around 24lbs then the difference will be noticed for sure! As SS says though, if you are riding the new bike downhill and not up it will be fine :)The difference up the hills between the two will certainly grab your attention...

    Not so good. I struggled the other day at Glentress with the Blur so god knows how i'd get on with such a heavy bike!!

    Glentress does have some beastly climbs though.

    I do agree though, bike setup is more important than shaving a few grams.

    Look at it this way: the heavier the bike to get uphill, the fitter you will get 8)

    I love Glentress but forgot just how unfit I am, having a heavier bike really will force me to get fit, i'm just not sure how much i'll be pushing the bike :oops: .

    If you want to get really fit don't forget to put the Super Tackys on. :wink:
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    Super Tackys?, I dont want to get THAT fit :lol:
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    34lbs is pretty weighty unless you're going for a real brawler, what have you got in mind? And what will it really be for?

    If it's mainly stuff like Glentress- and I say this with total love for the place- then it doesn't call for a huge bike, most of the time it'll just be a millstone. I think my Hemlock comes in around 28lbs and it's a nice blend of long travel and sensible weight, still "too much" for Glentress but in a fairly hilarious, "keep going faster til you crash" sort of a way.

    Not just weight of course, I had 2.35s at each end of the Soul one time and it was harder to get to the top than the Hemlock is. And your Blur is probably a very efficient climber so that might exagerrate it even more- a 34lb descender will not just be heavier, it'll generally have less good climbing manners.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    Northwind wrote:
    34lbs is pretty weighty unless you're going for a real brawler, what have you got in mind? And what will it really be for?

    If it's mainly stuff like Glentress- and I say this with total love for the place- then it doesn't call for a huge bike, most of the time it'll just be a millstone. I think my Hemlock comes in around 28lbs and it's a nice blend of long travel and sensible weight, still "too much" for Glentress but in a fairly hilarious, "keep going faster til you crash" sort of a way.

    Not just weight of course, I had 2.35s at each end of the Soul one time and it was harder to get to the top than the Hemlock is. And your Blur is probably a very efficient climber so that might exagerrate it even more- a 34lb descender will not just be heavier, it'll generally have less good climbing manners.

    Useful post, thanks.

    My most attended trail is Glentress but I want to be doing lots more places this year like Wales, the rest of the Seven Stanes and the Nevis range.

    I've had my eye on a Nicolai bike for a while, absolutely beautiful bike and when built up its gonna be over 30lbs. Just trying to justify the expense AND weight :D
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Cool... Sounds like classic trailbike territory then. I'd still want to go more pedally, if I was you, but everyone wants different things from their bikes after all... Nevis range is mint btw ;) No need for a big bike but it could be more fun that way I think!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    Glentress again for me today and this time I hired an AM bike weighing in at around 34lbs!! Weight difference is tangible but not unbearable. A new (heavier) bike beckons :D
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED