Ch-ching!

zedhead
zedhead Posts: 109
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
How much!?

Went into my NSLBS (not-so local...) to get a few bits, including a set of brake pads... they chimed in at a quite astounding £19.99... now I know that I can get them cheaper on th'internet, but my point is that when I buy a set of brake pads for my motorcycle, from a high street shop they cost be about fifteen quid, and they're about four times the size. I appreciate that a lot of technology and development has gone into MTB brakes, but the same applies with motorbikes. It seems to me that the MTB is, plain and simple, ripping us off...

Once the pads were changed, I looked over the rest of the bike and realised that I'd be needing a new set of chain rings soon... A quick look in some recent mags and I could only see cassettes, chains and chainstes with crank... Eh? WHy can't I find just chain rings and, specifically, the middle and big rings that are getting worn (granny is fine). A look online found the large chainring, secondhand but unused, at a whopping £66! And that was listed as being cheap? What? Now that really is taking the proverbial...

I can get a sprocket for a motorcycle, of any size I want, for less than that and it'll be capable of withstanding far more torque than my puny legs can kick out, so why are Shimano sprockets so bloody expensive?
Or am I merely missing a cheaper option?
:roll:
Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Chainrings can be found from just about all online retailers, and many LBS.

What size are you after, and for what chainset? Deore ones are cheap. The carbon ones are not.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Shimano prices went mental mental chicken oriental a while back, i could pick up a chainset for not much more than the cost of 3 rings. Specialities TA Chinook rings are very good replacements and lighter/ cheaper than Shimano ones. Got some on order for my 2 ring set up.

http://www.dotbike.com/specialites_ta.aspx
  • superstar components do a complete set of rings for £35 not sure how long they last but at that price worth a gamble? GOing to get some soon in red to bling up a little

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • zedhead
    Off the top of my head, I can't remember the sizes, it's a Shimano XT crankset...
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • zedhead
    Sounds like those Superstar ones could be worth looking into.... time for a bit more web surfing methinks... thanks for the input folks!