New MTB wheels

roundthebend
roundthebend Posts: 205
edited March 2010 in The workshop
Despite numerous and often conflicting opinions about whether I should upgrade my old MTB or buy a new bike, I'm still leaning towards the upgrade option.

For those that haven't seen my recent threads, here's the current situation:

13 year old Carrera Gradient 21sp MTB
Original wheels and drive train (yep, even the chain)
Original brake and gear levers (all-in-one type)
Front tyre replaced with a Maxxis Overdrive 1.75" (I think)
Rear tyre is Michelin Country or something - basically front is skinny, rear is chunky
Replaced cantilever brakes with V brakes 2 years ago
New cables fitted 2 years ago

My commute: 3 miles each way. Mostly pavement, some road. Few hills.
Other cycling: family bike rides, occasionally on rougher terrain

Nothing is terribly wrong with the bike, I like it. But the wheels are looking terrible and being as I want to replace the entire drive train I may as well get new wheels first.

So what does one look for in a set of wheels? I'm setting myself a low budget for this bike of about £150 for parts. I'll do the labour myself.
For wheels, I need to get a pair under £50 ideally.

Would something like this be a good buy? Bankrupt Stock 26" pair + 7sp

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off:

What are you running, a cassette or freewheel (though may not be a problem if getting a new drivetrain).

Check the rear dropout spacing. SHould be 135mm. Some were 130mm.
  • supersonic wrote:
    First off:

What are you running, a cassette or freewheel (though may not be a problem if getting a new drivetrain).

Check the rear dropout spacing. SHould be 135mm. Some were 130mm.

What you talkin' about? I don't know the difference, but you're right that I intend to replace the entire drivetrain so I can have whichever I want. I guess it comes down to which is going to offer the most options for my budget, which offers the best quality, and which is easier to maintain/requires least maintenance.

I'll check the rear dropout whajumacallit this evening.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    freewheel-vs-k7.jpg

See the difference?

It is very likely you would get a cassette and cassette wheel (with freehub body) if you upgrade, as much more common, and more reliable.

But if changing one at a time, then be careful.