Contador to ride Giro

2»

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The thing with Wiggins in a mountain TT is that he can clearly climb well but not explosively, so they should suit him.

My humble amateur opinion based on nothing except wot I saw on the idiot's lantern.

I think he may find the Plan Corones a bitt too steep for him.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    The thing with Wiggins in a mountain TT is that he can clearly climb well but not explosively, so they should suit him.

Don't really see it myself. The Zoncolan, Plan de Corones, Mortirolo and Gavia all in the final week? Think he's better off at the Tour.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    AC is wasting talent if he doesn't try it, but IMO the Giro and Tour in one season off a heavy Spring is too much to ask of him-I predict a poor TDF if he fires all his ammo at the Giro
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,859
    iainf72 wrote:

Who dares wins. Go for it, if its realistically possible.

Speaking of possible : Are you expecting any rainbows for adults round your way soon?

I wish. Now that would be something to crow about.
    I would have preferred to see her doing the keiran, instead of tonight's 500.
    According to Pross, she's second off around 5-30 ish. ES 2 may be on by then.
    Realistically, no chance I would say. First senior worlds, riding for the experience.
    Talking of which, they sat her between Sir Chris and Jason Kenny on the flight out.
    Not a bad pair of "minders"! :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Dave_1 wrote:
    AC is wasting talent if he doesn't try it, but IMO the Giro and Tour in one season off a heavy Spring is too much to ask of him-I predict a poor TDF if he fires all his ammo at the Giro
    I agree with that, as it's a long time since a PN winner also won the French Tour and I hope he leaves such thoughts to next year to put his talent to good use.
    Mig only rode it for preparation to the French tour and the third year we were told at Liege that he had had health problems and was too short of Kilometres to make the Liege start.
    Hence a 3rd in that Giro was a good workout for the July.
    AC proved his point to himself at Nice and I doubt if he will give any thing away in the run up to the French Tour as he knows he will have a bigger and more prepared US challenge this year.
    Most of us older people just want him to blast a win in this years French Tour and I cringe to think what it would be like with the more impressionable younger cycling fans if the unthinkable were to happen.
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I think last years Tour 4th will be the highest peak Wiggo achieves in GT terms
    another Bobby Julich perhaps ?
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,818
    Moray Gub wrote:
    frenchfighter - cheers, glad to hear someone does!

I really hope Wiggo does give it a proper go. If he can minimise his losses to the other GC contenders in the mountains (a la Menchov last year), there's 3 short ITTs and a TTT to sink his teeth into, which should, in theory, suit him*

*although, not sure about the ITT up the Plan de Corones?!

I'd get more excited at Wiggo competing for a Giro win than a Tour top 5.

I reackon the mountains in the Giro will blow Wiggo away and i consider an on form Menchov a far better climber than Wiggins is. I think last years Tour 4th will be be the highest peak Wiggo achieves in GT terms least.

VdV and Garmin will do Wiggins over hard me thinks.

VdV is just as good, if not a lil better than Wiggins when he's in top form.

People seem to have forgotten about him last year because he was a little injured.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Bit down in the end I see, but then, first pop at seniors it ain't bad I guess.

Only the 1 event?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,859
    iainf72 wrote:

Bit down in the end I see, but then, first pop at seniors it ain't bad I guess.

Only the 1 event?

Nope. The 200 as well.
    Not in full time training, until June when she moves into the academy.
    Should see some significant improvement next year.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    deejay wrote:

I agree with that, as it's a long time since a PN winner also won the French Tour and I hope he leaves such thoughts to next year to put his talent to good use.

Moray Gub wrote:
    I think last years Tour 4th will be the highest peak Wiggo achieves in GT terms
    another Bobby Julich perhaps ?

Its actually only 3 years since a PN winner won the French Tour as for Wiggo being another Julcih i suppose at least Wiggo got his fourth in a fully competitive race not due to a mass exodus of riders as happened in 1998 with Bobby.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • If he race's the Classics full tilt and the Giro he could be stretching himself a bit far. He might be able to do it but he would be running a massive risk. He seems to be going against the J.B. method but i cant see him going that far away from it. Would love to see him at the Classics but would prefer to see some of the other riders racing against each other without Contador wiping the floor with them. The Giro looks like it might be a really intresting open race this year
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    edited March 2010
    Maybe Giro win, Tour win, Vuelta win and he I think the World Champs is not a good course so probably Boonen, Frieire, Hushovd job.
    3 Tour wins in a season; that'll be a good one to have in your CV. :wink:

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    and no-one has ever managed all three GT wins in one season, have they?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    No - the timing of the Vuelta used to make it pretty much impossible - otherwise I reckon Merckx would probably have had a good go at it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Bet that's one that Alberto's got in his sights though. Maybe not this year, maybe not with Astana, but soon.