Scott Genius faulty rear shock

coolboarder
coolboarder Posts: 149
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My Scott Genius MC 50 is now 4 - 5 yeras old but less than 1000 miles done. Its still mint because its used rarely and i absolutely love it. The trouble is, the TC rear pull shock doesnt lock out any more.

Ive been to the shop where i had it from who say they cant help me because they are no longer a Scott dealer. Ive also tried another reputable bike shop in my area who also cant help having given up on Scott also. Ive called TF Tuned who simply wont look at these particular shocks any more. They even said these shocks are a problem and thats why they wont take them on. And finally, two days a ago i e mailed Scott themselves explaining my dilema but im still waiting to hear back from them.

So, do any of you nice people have any suggestions? I really want to get it fixed because apart from the shock not locking out, i love it. Its always a pleasure to ride especially after my commuting bike. If these shocks are renowned to have this problem surely there is a solution somewhere. Of coarse i can hope Scott simply get back to me offering their help but im not holding much hope.

Im quite a hands on guy being a toolmaker (engineering) so perhaps its possible to sort it out myself but im guessing theres quite some pressure inside these things! By the way, i have already checked out the cable adjustment and all was fine, definatly the shock thats faulty.

Any help, advise & suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Rob (midlands)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when you say you mailed Scott, who? the head office or the UK service center/distributor?

as the UK guys will sort it out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • coolboarder
    I used this address customersupport@scott-sports.com

do you know of a more suitable one?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Branch United Kingdom

12 Enterprise Court, Crosland Park, Northumberland

Cramlington NE23 1LZ

info at scott-sports.uk.com

T: +44 1 670 712 129

F: +44 1 670 712 058
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • coolboarder
    ^....thanks for the info. i have now heard back from scott from my original email. Ive been passed onto a guy at this address @scott-sports.uk.com but hes not back into his office untill Monday.

In the mean time, has any one else had Scott Genius rear shock problems? And if so how did you get sorted.

Rob
  • Pace do the servicing for the Equaliser 2:

http://www.pacecycles.com/default.asp

But apparently this task is being taken over by Madison sometime. If Pace can't help, try Madison:

http://www.madison.co.uk/products.aspx?vertical=Cycling
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Leisure lakes are the official scott dealer for the UK, i contacted scott about having a shock serviced a while back. Nobody else will touch them near enough. Emailed leisure lakes - they're after about £90 for a service.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Leisure lakes are the official scott dealer for the UK, i contacted scott about having a shock serviced a while back. Nobody else will touch them near enough. Emailed leisure lakes - they're after about £90 for a service.

or Evans cycles, but as I understand it, thats £90.00 all in.

The work is carried out as part of Scotts customer care programme and it includes labour and the replacement of any worn parts (see below).

Quote from the Evans website

We are the UK’s only Scott Shock service centre for the Genius and the Equalizer 1 shocks

The service includes:
    Full clean, strip, inspection of entire shock
    All dynamic seals replaced
    Any other seals that are found to be worn or damaged
    Re-bleeding and pressurisation of shock
    New decals
    New DU bushes and eyelets
    This service cost also includes any other parts that may be needed as part of Scott’s customer care programme.
    This is a full Scott approved ‘factory’ service. There is a flat charge of £95.00 inclusive of all parts.

Thats not bad for £95.00, a service at TFTuned or Mojo could work out a lot more expensive should you need replace parts.
  • ilovedirt
    Not too sure what they're on about there being the uk's only scott shock service centre, Someone from scott themselves told me that leisure lakes were the UK dealer and they were the ones to contact about servicing. I don't trust evans anyway, they're almost as bad as halfords, except some of their staff know a thing or two about bikes, although they're almost always wankers.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Either way I don't think the OP (Rob) has a problem, Evans or Leisure Lakes. £95.00 all in isn't that bad and any work carried out would be warranted.

I cant comment on Evans as I've never dealt with them.
  • ilovedirt
    think yourself lucky
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • coolboarder
    Update.......firstly thanks all for your help. Having been fobbed off by three companys i was getting a little concerned.

Im still waiting to hear from Scott themselves. Im promised contact on Monday. Ive spoken to Leisure Lakes and Evans both of which can do the service on my Genius rear shock. Leisure Lakes wanted £125 and Evans charge £95 as mentioned above which is a flat charge including all parts.

What i have learned though is that Evans are Scotts only servicing people in the uk. So other companys including Leisure Lakes simply send the shocks off the them any way. Taking your shock directly to an Evans shop saves the postage of roughly £8 each way.

By the way, neither TF Tuned or Mojo will look at them! Infact Mojo just told me they only service Fox.

Rob
  • ilovedirt
    hmm, that's strange. Evans it is then i guess, leisure lakes quoted me £90 though, i've a funny feeling the guy i spoke to wasn't totally sure what he was on about though
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • coolboarder
    Looking at my lovely Genius hanging up there in the garage, i wonder if the fact the way its hanging off the front wheel has caused oil problems inside the shock becaus its upside down whilst not in use. Just a thought, wouldnt want to knacker it up again after ive got it fixed!

Rob
  • having just come bck from 3 days riding in the wet Lakes frustrated yet again with the performance of my shock...2008 model. ive had the bike over 2 years from new and never get more than 3 months riding before the shock starts to play up. 2 local bike shops, both Scott dealers, and even personal help from Scotts technical consultant....great guy and nothing but a real help... have failed to give me reliability and peace of mind. i am now on my third shock, each replaced either by the shop or Scott...it has been serviced and replaced under warranty but now i will be paying. the people i regularly ride with have no problems with their alternatives. i am under 12 stone and ride x country and red routes at trail centres... a great bike is let down badly by a sensitive, complex and ultimately unreliable shock....i hear the ne wone also has similar issues! i wish Scott would come clean as the word is spreading. Look at ebay to see the relatively high numbers being sold on?!?! i sympathise completely...let me know if you have now found a solution.
  • ilovedirt
    New frame, i liked my scott frame, but found my meta 5 to be much more pedal friendly out of the saddle. No need to a traction control remote, works fine on full travel!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ken whyte wrote:
    having just come bck from 3 days riding in the wet Lakes frustrated yet again with the performance of my shock...2008 model. ive had the bike over 2 years from new and never get more than 3 months riding before the shock starts to play up. 2 local bike shops, both Scott dealers, and even personal help from Scotts technical consultant....great guy and nothing but a real help... have failed to give me reliability and peace of mind. i am now on my third shock, each replaced either by the shop or Scott...it has been serviced and replaced under warranty but now i will be paying. the people i regularly ride with have no problems with their alternatives. i am under 12 stone and ride x country and red routes at trail centres... a great bike is let down badly by a sensitive, complex and ultimately unreliable shock....i hear the ne wone also has similar issues! i wish Scott would come clean as the word is spreading. Look at ebay to see the relatively high numbers being sold on?!?! i sympathise completely...let me know if you have now found a solution.

Hi, sounds like your`re having real bad luck there. You must have lost all faith. I havent found a solution, infact im still riding it with the lock out not working. My problem is i want it weekends so reluctant to send the shock off for repair. Also coupled with the fact its over 90 quid to repair i keep putting it off. I do still love riding my genius so ultimatly will get it repaired. Hope you get sorted!

Rob
  • kiwi ben
    kiwi ben Posts: 1
    I know this is an old thread, but hopefully this will help out some Scott Genius owners.

I have a 2007 Scott Genius and I've had a couple of rear shock failures. However I've found the cause and a way to avoid it. Rear shock first failed after 3-4 months - lost pressure and started dumping oil out the top of the valve that controls the lock-out. I think it was less than a year later and it failed again. Both times repaired under warranty, but I didn't want it happening again.

I think the main seal on the pull shock is reasonable at keeping dirt out, however it appeared that both failures were caused by a poor seal around the valve (that controls the lock-out at the top of the shock) which let in dirt / sand / grit which then trashed the shocks internals.

When the shock was returned from the second rebuild I made a tough plastic bag cover for the lockout valve and placed it under the upper shock bushings and held and sealed it in place with tape - it's flexible to allow the lockout lever to move up and down and is effective at keeping all the dirt / sand /grit / water out. I used a piece of heavy duty polyethylene bag (125 micron) and good electrical tape and cleaned the shock well before attaching it - if it's oily it's not going to stick. Next time I'd try a hot glue gun to attach it, should be more permanent than tape.

I've been riding with this shock cover for 2.5 years now without a failure and in that time I've worn out chains plus a set of rings and a cassette....
  • kiwi ben wrote:
    When the shock was returned from the second rebuild I made a tough plastic bag cover for the lockout valve and placed it under the upper shock bushings and held and sealed it in place with tape ....

Hi there,
    Any chance you could post a few photos of the workaround you describe?
    Cheers
  • i have a scott genius suffering the same problems pls could u post pics or u tube vid of the plastice cover u discribed many thanks