Overshoes for a shorter commute - non cleated shoes

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Morning, a friend wants a recommendation. The length of his commute is 3 miles or so, the overshoes have got to be easy to get on and off. And he wears walking boots to cycle in.

My thinking is that any cheapy pair ought to do the job but they'll get rapidly worn at the toes and in the mid-sole, wherever they make contact with the ground when they're walked upon.

Thanks

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Eh? Why does he want overshoes if he's got walking boots? Can't imagine his feet are that cold or that wet after three miles.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Hi there,

can I ask why he's wanting overshoes? I would think that walking boots would be more than warm enough and surely on flat pedals the underside will just get wrecked in minutes?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    The walking boots leak. I can think of lots of better solutions tbh, eg waterproof socks, new boots. However overshoes are being requested...
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    davis wrote:
    Eh? Why does he want overshoes if he's got walking boots? Can't imagine his feet are that cold or that wet after three miles.

+1

that is similar distance as my commute, i only had a pair of warm socks and a pair of SPD walking shoes style one and it keep me warm enough throughout the winter up here.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    mr_si wrote:
    The walking boots leak. I can think of lots of better solutions tbh, eg waterproof socks, new boots. However overshoes are being requested...

Do your friend a favour and tell him he's trying to fix the symptoms, not the cause. Properly cared for walking boots absolutely should not leak. Back in the snow I wore my steel-toecapped work boots which were utterly waterproof and cost 13 pounds from the local workwear place.

Overshoes will get destroyed, not least because the size of the boots will make it difficult to get overshoes that fit in the first place, and they'll force the overshoes up against the cranks where they'll rub away in short order.

He could try something like Sealskinz socks though, they're entirely waterproof. Overshoes are not the correct answer, and I think he's asking the wrong question.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    mr_si wrote:
    He could try something like Sealskinz socks though, they're entirely waterproof. Overshoes are not the correct answer, and I think he's asking the wrong question.

Thats what I would suggest, I have a couple of pairs and never had wet feet, my endura overshoes barely fit over my shimano spd shoes so I would imagine trying to source ones to fit over walking boots would be a bit of a tall order.