sunblock/ sun protection

analog*kid
analog*kid Posts: 6
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi there

Now that spring has finally arrived in Scotland I'm hoping to be out on my bike a lot more; but having typical Scottish traits i.e fair skin, blue eyes, burns after 15 minutes (Cat 1 on the sunindex I think) I need a good sunblock

Ideally I'd prefer a once a day that I can apply once & leave to dry. I'm not fussed about getting a tan I just don't want to get burnt

I used to use the original P20 but haven't been impressed with the new formula. The box also advises 10 hours protection but I'm looking for longer protection than that. I've also tried Calypso once a day SPF20 but found that I end with white streaks when I sweat

Can anyone recommend, or has anyone tried anything else ? Thanks & kind regards

Fred

Comments

• mats
    mats Posts: 94
    check out "aloegator" I used it on holiday in menorca last year while cycling and had no sunburn to speak of ,I'm on of those rare Scots that actually take a tan but I burn like a baby first
    I think the website Ibought it form was something like " extreme horizons surf shop" but I'm not entirely sure as I used my home PC and I'm at work at the moment

Cheers.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The strongest suncreams are ones designed for high altitude skiing.
    They cost a bit more, are thick oily discusting stuff and feel sticky.

The key difference is unlike water based ones they will not sweat off or be broken down by the sun. So once it is on, it does not need to be reapplied and will work all day.

You will not burn with this stuff on, but it isn't nice.

I have added info just in case you burn badly and wanted to know what the strongest solution was.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?