Wrong tools for the job!

13ADL1X
13ADL1X Posts: 151
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Having just spent the last 3.5 hours in A&E - I can honestly say that my 1.3" Conti Sport Contact Slicks are absolutely useless on wet slippy downhill off road trails!

This may not surprise a lot of you. :oops:
The trail is long and my legs are burning but I can't stop smiling.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Noted for future reference. Hope you're OK
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • BasTaart-NoShitSherlock.jpg

But really though, hope you're not too badly hurt.

Remember, pics or it didnt happen, the more gore the better! :wink:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    1.3"? :shock: Yeah, bit skinny ;)

Hope you're not too banged up
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • 13ADL1X
    13ADL1X Posts: 151
    Unfortunately the pictures I'm taking don't capture it very well. Might have to wait a little bit for the bruising to come out.

Whilst it hurt like hell and I thought I had fractured my leg it was pretty funny. Especially as it was due pure stupidity on my part. I decided to cycle up this big hill near work as had read about this medieval footpath up there in a bike mag. I only really went to see how to get there so I could bring my other bike and session it at a leter date. So I found it and then had to push the bike up coz it was well slippyand I couldn't ride up it (this should have been a big clue!) - got to the top (amazing view!) and it was pretty flat so was just trundling about checking out the trail network bike was fishtailing on the flat mind! The whole time I was saying to myself I will get off in a minute coz these tyres aren't right.

Unfortunately, the trail took a downward slant and the brakes simply made the slicks like wet rubber on glass! Much speed was being picked up so decided the best option was to bail out and dive in a bush. It went well but the downtube slammed into my shin with an almighty force.

In hindsight I should have just grabbed a handful of back brake and tried to swing the bike round to a stop. However, was clipped in and panicking. haha
    The trail is long and my legs are burning but I can't stop smiling.
  • ed_arnold
    ed_arnold Posts: 65
    13ADL1X wrote:
    ..so decided the best option was to bail out and dive in a bush..

I like your style! Good work though for even contemplating that that was a good idea, especially clipped in. I prefer to scream 'I'm going to die!' before assuming the fetal position in circumstances like this.
    Also, I've found it a bad idea to try and 'hop off' the back of the bike having forgotten you've recently gone to SPDs from flats - there is only one place that your back tyre will end up, and let me tell you, it's not a method of braking that I'd want to use again..
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    13ADL1X wrote:
    However, was clipped in and panicking. haha

the biggest hinderence to the emergency bail-out.
    exactly why i ride flats :lol:
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Reminds me of a ride I did with some guys from my school, he had his brand new Rockhopper SL, with slicks for some reason, hit a big muddy puddle... you can guess the rest, big splat, spiky bushes and a tear in the seat :roll:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    YThat was my first real laugh out loud moment for weeks, but seriously I hope you are alright. Reminds me of the lesson to unlock your front suspension BEFORE doing a staircase :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: