Riding areas near Burton & Melbourne?

krushgroove
krushgroove Posts: 27
edited March 2010 in Routes
Hiya, I'd like to get in some afternoon/evening rides this spring & summer, so I'm hoping someone can chime in with areas that are suitable for riding in the south Derbyshire area. I work near Burton and live in Derby so anything in that area is a bonus really. I've ridden once in a a place called Robin Wood but my riding mate has moved and he told me the forest rangers sometimes remove the jumps and berms so I'm not sure if cycling is allowed there.

Also I'm on the lookout for a group of people to ride with, if anyone would like to take on a 200+ lb rider who might be a bit slower than them! :)
'99 Giant ATX 890
'?? Raliegh something-or-other, commuter
Trying to keep the rubber side down!

Comments

• Hi Krush,
    I'm in Derby too. There are loads of local trails around Derby for an evening blast. You can get free cycle maps from the tourist info centre on the Market Place. From River Gardens turn right on the track that runs through it and head to Elvaston Castle for a muck around in the woods. If you pick up the Cloud Trail (before Elvaston Castle) it'll take you to Melbourne alongside the canal. It's only about 30-40 mins drive to Cannock Chase which is pretty good for a blast on the Wag The Dog Trail. Will be even better soon as it's being extended within a new longer trail. The Peaks are only an hour and a quarters drive as well for some serious stuff.
    Me and my best mate will be getting out and about more now spring's here! Drop me a line if you're interested in hooking up. We don't go every weekend though, so it'll have to be ad hoc. I wouldn't be worried about being slower than us............as you're probably not!
    Dream as if you'll live forever..........live as if you'll die today!
  • Thanks Mickster, I didn't know about those trails! I'll definitely check out the maps and all.

I'm hoping to bring my bike to work and catch some trails on the drive home, unfortunately I'm usually not available on the weekends, but I have been out in the Peak District a long time ago. I'll drop you a line :)
    '99 Giant ATX 890
    '?? Raliegh something-or-other, commuter
    Trying to keep the rubber side down!