Shoes for wide feet

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Sorry to start yet another shoe thread...

I've been wearing Specialized Defrosters over the Winter. They've been really comfy, but are starting to get a little warm, and I really need a new pair of Summer shoes. I'm looking at Specialized again, because they seem to suit my wide feet, but are there any other brands I should consider? Sidi and Shimano both seem to be fairly narrow, from what I can gather. Any others?

For what it's worth, I'm looking for a pair of super-breathable, spd-compatible shoes, which I'll also use for the odd sportive (can't justify buying two pairs, and didn't enjoy yesterday's experimental commute with road pedals). But it's really just brand recommendations I'm after.
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Northwave are nice and wide, much more so than Mavic anyway.

Linsen has a comparative photo somewhere...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Lake shoes,

I'm currently wearing these.

I have flat feet that like to spread out and expand in hot weather so I got them. The Lakes are wide by any standard (and there is an even wider option - but I don't understand how someone could have feet that wide).

As a shoe they keep my feet padded and warm. But the leather breathes so they're good with a thin pair of socks in the current weather . Comfy too I've worn them on a commute and a sportive.

If they came as a standard trainer I'd by them - that comfy.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Northwave are nice and wide, much more so than Mavic anyway.

Yeah..... I've got wide feet and use Northwaves
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    You can't go wrong with Spesh - esp if you have a pair that are already comfy. I've got wide feet and have been using spesh for the last 5 years or so and been very happy with them.
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    +1 for Specialized shoes, had one pair for about 8yrs ---> like slippers, just got a new pair and they are also v comfy.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I hate specialized shoes. Feel like they are made of cardboard to me.

Sidi do wide fit shoes.

The uppers are also very very supple, so conform to whatever oddities your feet present really quite well. And they last ages.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I love Spesh shoes. So much so that I my cycling shoes are completely Speshialised.

Weak, I know. Forgive me.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Sidi, they size up small and narrow, and are still pretty narrow in the correct size (1 larger than you'd usually ride) but the mega range is designed for spade feet.

Beyond comfortable, particularly with the adjustable heel cup. The rebuildability is a big plus for me.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    if you are not too fussed about a really stiff race type shoe, the shimano mp66 is wide and comfortable...

but as i say..its not exactly stiff.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Another vote for Northwave here - my NW Vertigos are fine so far if a bit chilly in winter :lol:

Shimano is no go for me - shame as I'd have got shoes for half the price if my feet did fit them.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Northwave FTW
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    With my wide feet, I'll give another vote for Northwave plus a pair of sealskin socks.

Nice and toastie, dry too.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.