Newbie with £800 budget Hardtail

a_friend
a_friend Posts: 12
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
I have a budget of £800 -+ £100 and will use the C2W scheme to get the bike. My short list is as follows

Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp 2010
Cube LTD Pro 2010
Scott Scale 70

Are there any others I should consider looking The bike will be used to travel from home to the gym some 14 mile round trip.Some off road trails at the weekends in Epping Forrest.
PSN: Spammale
Xboxlive: Gstar360 GC GP

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All those sound more than up to the job.

Do any local shops stock them so can try for size?
  • a_friend
    I am going to have a look at the weekend but there just seems to be to many to choose from.
  • supersonic
    It seems you need a cross country bike with say 100mm of fork travel.

Most at this price have decent forks, 27 gears and hydraulic brakes so is hard to go wrong!

It will come down to what feels best for you.

But if unsure, post what you find here so we can take a look.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    I am in a similar position and am looking at similar bikes, except I was considering a Cannondale Trail 3 or 4 instead of the Cube as they are not available around me.

I sat on a Scale 80 and a Rockhopper SL yesterday and the Rockhopper felt bigger somehow. The handle bars felt wider, they also rise slightly higher than the ones on the Scale so may be more comfortable or more relaxing to ride but that is just speculation as I didn't go out in the road with them. I must add that they were size L frames where I should be looking at XLs but they had none in stock.

It's so difficult to decide and the more options you have the more confusing it gets - well for me anyway.
  • a_friend
    I am surprised that there is no out right winner at that price point, usually there is a clear winner guess i'll just have to go for what feels right.

Will update once I have sat on a few bike I may try the local bike shop at work.
  • a_friend
    My 2 finalists are the Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp and the Cube LTD Comp the comp is about £30 cheaper.

So far having had a ride on both to me they feel similar, the Rockhopper seems to have better fork & breaks but the Cube has better gearing, still not winner just yet anyone want to swing me in a direction?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    probably go for the rockhopper if you prefer the fork and brakes on that.

Dritrain doesn't make as much difference to how a bike rides as the suspension
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    peter413 wrote:
    probably go for the rockhopper if you prefer the fork and brakes on that.

Dritrain doesn't make as much difference to how a bike rides as the suspension

And the fork and brakes should outlast the drivetrain many times over, so you could always upgrade the drivetrain as and when it wears out :wink:
  • nipper9
    nipper9 Posts: 120
    hi thought i would put my view in
    i have the spesh 2010 sl comp a great ride, bars a bit to narrow for me, sh*t tyres.but loads of play with the forks.
    my only bug bear is the frame chips very easily which is dissapointing as i havent really had a big tumble yet!!!!
    all the best paul

ps. forgot to say its a 15" and i paid £709 for it from tredz in the beginning of jan.
    " PERSEVERE B4 U DISAPPEAR "

specialized rockhopper sl comp 2010
    specialized rockhopper comp 2003?
    trek 800 antelope 1993
    raliegh chopper mk2 1976
    raliegh tomahawk 1973
    raliegh budgie
  • a_friend
    I've pretty much settled on the Rockhopper, will add some DMR v12 peddles and replace the tyres for tarmac.

Just need some insurance and some decent locks.
  • a_friend
    I have received some very bad news and its going to take 6 weeks before I get the voucher.
  • supersonic
    Hopefully the weather will be better by then lol.
  • a_friend
    indeed
  • Adam_DT3
    Adam_DT3 Posts: 52
    I feel your pain. Im in exactly the same situation and have to wait 7 weeks.

I went for the Genesis Core 30 in the end (we only get to choose from EVANS in our work).
  • a_friend
    I have a single malt it may help..........:-/
  • a_friend
    I think time has made me change my mind and now I'm thinking of getting the Cube LTD Pro in white metal blue, or the Marin white line.

You never know until i get the voucher and place the order i might still have changed my mind several times over.
  • a_friend
    Well I finally got my voucher and will pick up a Cube LTD Pro in white metal blue tomorrow.
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    christ I bet your buzzzzzeennnnn.

Nothing better than knowing your getting a whole new shiny bike in the next 24 hrs.

It usually takes a few stiff drinks before I can get to sleep
  • Adam_DT3
    Adam_DT3 Posts: 52
    yeah me too :-)

Picked up my shiny new genesis yesterday.
  • a_friend
    had to go meet family so didn't really get anytime to play with it at all :-) got loads of bit though .
  • shick
    shick Posts: 5
    Sorry wrong place
  • w86h2000
    w86h2000 Posts: 18
    Nice choice there mate on the Cube. I'm about to buy a bike in the same sort of range/spec except I've missed out on the C2W scheme in work as ours starts in January. I'm tempted by the Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp as my LBS here sells it which makes things easier and I've to go down the finance/repayments route as well.
    Orange G3 2011
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2009