Lidl got their cycling stuff on sale today

tops and jackets dont seem too bad, lights etc look poor

got top, socks and shorts, may try them tomo

I know aldi stuff usually better but worth a go for the price for work commute

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//lid ... =3&nf=True

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I thought it was 6 tubes at first lol: 2 for four quid.
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    bought some socks, a top shorts and base layer from there today. Also bought the specs are my eyes are always blood shot when I get to work in the morning from the wind which aint a good look.
    Going to give the top a go tomorrow but prob a bit to soon for shorts

Will let you know what they are like

Matt
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Stocked up for the summer :wink:

5-6 Shorts sleeve tops, a vest, jacket and loads of socks 8)

Even picked up the sun glasses :?
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    has anyone tried the shoes? I had a llook today but could not make my mind up. The sole seemed pretty stiff & solid. not too sure about the velcro strap. I am pretty tempted as a new set of shimano cleats for my shoes is £15 and these shoes are about £18.
  • bunter wrote:
    has anyone tried the shoes? I had a llook today but could not make my mind up. The sole seemed pretty stiff & solid. not too sure about the velcro strap. I am pretty tempted as a new set of shimano cleats for my shoes is £15 and these shoes are about £18.
    I didn't think they came with SPD cleats (if that was what you were implying - sorry if I misunderstood), just that they were designed to use them.

If I'm wrong, I may be out shopping tomorrow...
  • nitesight
    nitesight Posts: 119
    I got the shorts, longs, socks, gilet, saddle bag and shirt.

Good.

Longs seem nice and shorts are comfy - not amazing but will do for the commute.
    Gilet is good - very happy with that.
    Saddle bag fits well where my more expensive Revolution one would not take the rails as my saddle is quite far forward. Multi tool included is worth the money alone IMHO. Very good! Socks - nothing special but okay.

Bad

I bought three shirts, to try the different sizes. VERY disappointed. The long sleeve jerseys I got last year are still going strong. The zips on this years are very poor. They snag and don't run well. On the large and xtra large they bunch causing the zip to pull the top away from the skin and it's so inflexible that it holds like that causing a stoopid bulge in the chest area. It seems like it would rub too. Zip feels like it would last five minutes so they are going back tomorrow.

Now just got to wait for the Aldi stuff which usually seems better.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Went in this morning for inner tubes but they were MTB sizes and valves. Bought a pair of mitts which seem OK. Mrs SG put a block on any bike related purchasing :oops: Both bikes serviced this month which has dented the exchequer!
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Got 2 pairs of glasses last time for £3.50 each, still using them and would buy more if they are the same.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Hmm, quite fancy some of those trouser thingies (they look like 3/4s, I'd've quite liked some late last autumn/early last winter).

Dunno when I'll be able to pop in though, bah.
  • bunter wrote:
    I didn't think they came with SPD cleats (if that was what you were implying - sorry if I misunderstood), just that they were designed to use them.

If I'm wrong, I may be out shopping tomorrow...

No cleats with the shoes, at least not with mine.

My first ever pair of cycle specific footwear so difficult to judge how good they are.
    Sole feels very stiff as mentioned.
    Come up a bit big for me in my usual size 10, but a 9 would be too small.
    I suspect they are fairly heavy in comparison to more expensive examples.

Just need to get myself some SPDs to go with them now.

Question: Do all SPDs come with cleats? Or only if advertised? Shimano M520 are only £20ish, but don't appear to come with cleats. M540s on the other hand specifically do come with cleats and are only £30odd so seem the better buy for me.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Just need to get myself some SPDs to go with them now.

Question: Do all SPDs come with cleats? Or only if advertised? Shimano M520 are only £20ish, but don't appear to come with cleats. M540s on the other hand specifically do come with cleats and are only £30odd so seem the better buy for me.

Shimano M520 on ebay cost about £19 and come with cleats. Great bargain as the pedals are top notch and the cleats normally cost £13 separately.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-PD-M520-SPD-Clipless-MTB-Pedals-Blk-Cleats-NEW_W0QQitemZ350313091668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item5190499254
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Just need to get myself some SPDs to go with them now.

Shimano M520 on ebay cost about £19 and come with cleats. Great bargain as the pedals are top notch and the cleats normally cost £13 separately.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-PD-M520-SPD-Clipless-MTB-Pedals-Blk-Cleats-NEW_W0QQitemZ350313091668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item5190499254

Nice one, many thanks! :D
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    It mentions a chain stay stand but doesn't have a picture (check the text under the pic)

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... x_8896.htm

Anyone seen one?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Got 2 jerseys and a gilet. not had chance to try em out today gear cable snapped on the way home last night, I'll update in the morning.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bunter wrote:

They won't come with cleats. I bought a pair of shoes from Lidl last year - this years look pretty similar. One of the best cycling purchases I've ever made. They've currently covered close to 3000 miles of commuting and mtbing over the last year. Aside from slightly chewed up soles due to the flat mtb pedals I use and road dirt, they hardly look worn at all. They are heavy, sometimes the velcro strap slips out of the metal loop but otherwise hard to fault.

Might get a new pair as spare if they have any in my size.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Rolf F wrote:
    I bought a pair of shoes from Lidl last year - this years look pretty similar. One of the best cycling purchases I've ever made.

The shoes are great, if a little heavy. I've had a couple of pairs. This year's are particularly ugly though. They don't come with cleats.
  • +1 for the shoes, mine did about 2000 miles and they would still be fine except they look awful after the winter muck. That said, since I've replaced them with some decent(ish) road shoes, I've realised how heavy/badly fitting/not very stiff they actually are. Much easier to walk in than road shoes, though.

In short, like a lot of the Lidl stuff, they're much, much better than the non-cycling equivalent, but not as good as the tarty, expensive stuff.