Seized/tight jockey wheel

chunkyboy
chunkyboy Posts: 97
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My bike has a SRAM X-9, 9-Speed, long cage rear mech. Found today that the lower jockey wheel is virtually seized solid, can be turned by hand but needs a fair bit of effort. So my question is can i replace just the jockey wheels (would assume it's better to replace both rather than one) or would i also have to replace the chain and cassette. The chain and cassette are in good condition, i've checked the rear mech for damage (dents,twisted etc) and it and it appears to be fine and the top jockey wheel spins freely.

Comments

• captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Take it out and give it a clean and lube, the ones on my X5s go pretty solid with grit and gunk from time to time.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • chunkyboy
    @captainfly. Can the jockey wheels be taken apart or are they a sealed unit ? Any tips on a cleaning them or just use a bit of mucoff/soapy water and a brush ?
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    Im having exactly the same problem with my X9!!
    Im having to strip them down just about every ride.
    I was wondering if they can be replaced as its getting beyond a joke now.
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    of cource new ones can be had... either sram ones or very bling and extra smooth and long lasting KCNC ones...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    whenever mine get a bit stiff i give them a good squirt of gt85 which loosens them up great.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    chunkyboy wrote:
    Can the jockey wheels be taken apart or are they a sealed unit ? Any tips on a cleaning them or just use a bit of mucoff/soapy water and a brush ?
    Both wheels can be easily dismantled. Remove the two bolts holding the inner and outer plates together and the wheels will come out. The dust covers don't really do much and after removing them you will be able to see the wheels in all their technical glory :)

The lower one has a bearing and the upper one has a bush. Accumulated gunk can be removed with a toothbrush and/or the ball end of a 2.5 mm hex key. Use a little grease when re-assembling and for best results, dry clean from time-to-time with the toothbrush.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    dunker wrote:
    whenever mine get a bit stiff i give them a good squirt of gt85 which loosens them up great.

GT85 seems to make mine go super crunchy as it gets rid of the gunk but not the grit. Anywhere that sells sram should have or be able to get them and there are aftermarket seal bearing ones.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • chunkyboy
    Thanks for the replies. @Blitz. Thank you for the detail of removing/cleaning the wheels, appreciate it. I now know what to do in future if it happens again. :)
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    You dont need to fork out mega bucks BBB do a SRAM compatible set of jockey wheels that work just fine.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Bought BBB Rollerboys last year as replacements on an M530. Were excellent for a long time, but have just siezed... not as long lasting as I had hoped.
    “If you do something right the first time, then it’s not hard enough” (Danny MacAskill)
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    My SRAM X9 jockey wheels seize up after every ride. Not just because of mud and grass around them, but the bearing seizes solid. The derailleur is only a few weeks old too. My previous X9 was the same. I'm now going to buy some replacement non-SRAM wheels.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • To add to my previous post, I took the seal off the bbb jockeys, cleaned them out (liberal WD40), regreased, and now they're working fine. There was a lot of crud inside though...

5479193147_26336b1bbd.jpg[/img]
    “If you do something right the first time, then it’s not hard enough” (Danny MacAskill)
  • d3matt
    There's a lot of conflicting information about what replacement jockey wheels (if any) will fit the SRAM X9 rear mech. I'm talking about a 2010 model, which is different from the earlier models, where some replacement wheels are compatible.
    Anyone know which ones are? Some references on forums say there's nothing apart from the original (and expensive) SRAM wheels. In my case, I found these are seizing after only 2-3 weeks and rust comes out the bearing when I wash it!

• I have a 2010 long cage x9, mine had loads of play in them and were very worn.
    I phoned Clee Cycles who told me the kcnc ones will fit the 2010 mech so i ordered some,
    they've done 3 rides and the first thing i noticed is they don't clog up so much,time will tell but for the moment i'm very happy with them.
  • d3matt
    glennpro09 wrote:
    the kcnc ones will fit the 2010 mech so i ordered some

Apart from the number of teath, are all KCNC jockey wheels the same then?
    The Clee site says "not for SRAM X9 & X7", but I assume then this is the older models. Mine is a 2010 X9 medium cage. If these do fit, then I'll order some. They are very expensive, but if they work then it will be worth it. I was out today in the mud and rain, and my top jockey wheel seized up mid-ride. Had to remove the wheel, squirt it with water and some brute force and it spun enough to continue.

• d3matt
    I've just seen on eBay that Ready to Ride Cycles are selling stainless steal bearing ones for £26.49 or ceramic bearing ones for £37.99. So obviously there's two bearing types.

• d3matt
    Not sure about x7 but as you've got a 2010 x9 mech they'll fit.
    I bought the stainless ones from Ready To Ride Cycles.
  • d3matt
    Thanks very much. I'll order a set.
    Here's the 2010 X9 jockey wheels from my derailleur.
    SRAMX9wheels.JPG

• cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    One small thing to add, WD40 is not good at clearing stuff out. Plusgas does the job MUCH better.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • d3matt
    Thanks glennpro09 for confirming the KCNC jockey wheels will fit. I purchased the ceramic bearing version as they were only £11 more than the standard. Even though these are very expensive anyway, once you're spending £26, another £11 isn't going to break the bank. They arrived today and they do fit the 2010 X9 fine.
    I'll see how I get on with them on Sunday and see if they are better resisting the much in the bearings than the original SRAM ones are.

Update: These KCNC wheels are brilliant! I've posted some pics and info to help other X9 owners.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Dammit! have just ordered the SRAM ones cos I thought KCNC would nt fit!! boo!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they dont fit all X9s as they have different fitting dependent on the year.

http://www.sramnordic.com/f/f1/SRAM-Pul ... erview.pdf

sorry cant tell you when they changed from the offset pin to the central pin.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200
    The newer x7 uses the older (useless) X0 jockey wheels too. Best to take them off and check, a 5 minute job.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    yeah, 2010 X9 so they would have been ok.....pimpin' as well innit...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver