Chain tool problem

Ian.B
Ian.B Posts: 732
edited March 2010 in The workshop
I was trying to shorten a new Campag 10s chain yesterday - never done this before, and was using the chain tool bit on my multitool. I popped the chain on the tool, checked it was sitting properly, and tightened the screw, but the link wouldn't budge even though I tightened it as hard as I could, and tried from both sides. The result is that the link is now jammed and won't move.

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible the pointy bit on my chain tool is too big and is squashing the link rather than pushing on the rivet? Do I need a proper chain tool rather than the multitool attachment? Looking at the Biketutor video, it looks simple and the link should just slide out without applying much force on the screw.

(BTW, my plan is to shorten the chain at both ends and join with a KMC link, rather than faff around with the Campag joining pin etc - so all I need to do is remove a few links, not re-join.)

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Campag say you should only use their tool but I have used our standard tool in the workshop to do just what you propose. They are both 3.2mm pins so not at all sure what's occuring here.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    When I took my chain apart to fit a power-link, I first used the chain breaker on a cheap multi-tool but all I managed to do with that was bend one of the links. I then tried with an old chain breaker tool I found in the garage, it worked but I needed to use a claw hammer for leverage in order to break the link.

Eventually I bought an X-Tools chain breaker which was a lot easier. This was with a 8-speed Shimano HG chain though.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Contemplating the same thing myself after my Record chain snapped at the weekend.

Don't know whether to shell out for the proper campag tool or go cheaper such as the Park CT-4.2. Don't know how much I'm going to be using a campag 10 speed chain tool ...
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Our workshop one is the Ice Toolz Pro comfortable handle and nice big levers with replaceable pins
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Thanks everyone, that was helpful. I decided to have another go last night and apply more brute force, so applied a pair of pliers on the chain tool for extra leverage, out it popped, and the chain is now fitted with the KMC link!

Clearly I just couldn't apply enough turning force with the multitool attachment alone, compared with what you could presumably get from a workshop tool. So it doesn't look as though I could rely on the multitool for any roadside repairs.

This was a new chain - I wonder if the rivets get looser and easier to extract as the chain wears?