Crank length

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited March 2010 in The workshop
I may have made a mistake, I'm building up a fixed bike for a hack and I've just got some cranks off ebay, the only problem is I've noticed they're 172.5mm, is this going to be too long? Bit worried I've bought something that's going to chuck me off when I go round a corner :?

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I may have made a mistake, I'm building up a fixed bike for a hack and I've just got some cranks off ebay, the only problem is I've noticed they're 172.5mm, is this going to be too long? Bit worried I've bought something that's going to chuck me off when I go round a corner :?
    Possibly not ideal but don't panic, yet...

How high is the BB on your frame? If it was designed as a fixed (or as a criterium frame), it'll probably have good clearance.

What pedals will you use? If they are shallow & narrow, then that will also mitigate.

Finally, what length BB? A low-Q chainset will also help clearance.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I'm going to use one of the miche track botttom brackets where you can adjust the chainline with some M520 SPD's, the chainset is this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
    which I'm going to use a single chainring bolt on

It's an old holdsworth road frame, designed for gears but it has the campag droputs where you can move the wheel backwards and forwards in it so it can be used as a fixed.

cheers

Paul